Blown external speaker... a theory.... and how to fix it.

This is a discussion on Blown external speaker... a theory.... and how to fix it. within the HTC Incredible Rescue Squad forums, part of the HTC Incredible Assistance category; Well this post is for the DIY crowd that would rater fix a phone that otherwise is perfectly fine. It seems a common hardware failure ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Lightbulb Blown external speaker... a theory.... and how to fix it. UPDATED

Well this post is for the DIY crowd that would rater fix a phone that otherwise is perfectly fine. It seems a common hardware failure is the external speaker. It works great and all of a sudden one day... buzz buzz rattle... how can that be... I haven't used the external speaker much and didn't have it blasting when I did... A blown speaker typically involves an actual catastrophic failure like glue, electrical, or speaker material failing... I don't believe this is the case with a DINC.

what happens.... my theory
    the 3 dincs I have done this fix to had the same issue. The speaker basically consists of a loud speaker element on top of a magnet where the top is suspended using what looks like a plastic like urethane shock absorber material.

when the speaker starts to buzz and rattle it is due to the surrounding material losing adhesion, I believe due to high temperatures... The speaker of the dinc is pretty strong... it can actually draw tiny bits of ferrous metal... this pulls the speaker element closer to the back... the heat also deforms the surrounding material causing the speaker to stay in place (remember all those threads saying their dinc back was usually hot?) I theorize enough of those events and or getting the dinc near heat sources deforms the material enough to allow the speaker element to contact the back causing the buzz sound. I also theorize the reason the speaker gets worse is due to a compounding effect caused by the powerful magnet. It draws the element closer and closer as the foam deforms... this causes the effect that it is getting worse. Unfortunately the external speaker doesn't have a whole lot in terms of support after the surrounding material fails.

The fix....

Disclaimer: This fix can void your warranty... It doesn't involve disassembling your dinc but if you damage the speaker bad enough they may not honor your warranty and classify the claim as physical damage. I am not responsible for any damages or injuries of any kind.

tools and materials you'll need...

razor blade
    scotch tape

Procedure

1. Turn off your phone and remove the rear case as well as the battery.
    2. Using your razor blade CAREFULLY remove the speaker screen and foam seal. This comes off pretty easily and you don't need to dig at it or anything.
    3. Assess which part of the speaker has deformed. Most times it will be one side or the other.
    4. get a 2" long piece of scotch tape and shorten the WIDTH to the width of the speaker
    5. very very very carefully attach the tape to the top of the speaker element.
    6. even more carefully than step 5 pull the tape to raise the speaker to it's normal operating height (enough to raise it off the bottom of the element) and attach the tape to the case.
    7. cut the tape where the line for the speaker mesh and foam seal is. you only want about 1/16" of tape on there and it should be covered by the speaker seal.
    8. Step 8: Reassemble by reinstalling the speaker mesh and seal, reinstall battery and back cover.

power up the phone and use. Keep in mind during this process the volume is going to be reduced due to the tape's resistance.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by razor02097; 12-20-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: updated information

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    UPDATE: I actually decided to attempt a permanent fix on my droid. Without buying a speaker component I decided to see what I could do...

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damages, injuries, successes, , loss of any kind or anything that could come of this post. This procedure WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

WARNING: Disassembling your droid more than taking the battery cover off WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!
    WARNING: the speaker component is a very small component. THIS PROCEDURE REQUIRES A LOT OF PATIENCE AND DEXTERITY!!! Don't attempt unless you are able to manipulate very small parts. I can not stress this enough!

Tools needed
    • T6 torx driver
    • hobby knife
    • 3m scotch tape
    • super glue (this is ONLY used to reassemble the speaker component!!!!! you can really ruin stuff if you aren't careful!!!!)
    Don't attempt unless you are able to manipulate very small parts. I can not stress this enough!
    1. turn your phone off and remove the battery cover as well as battery and SD card.
    2. Using your hobby knife remove the "void" sticker covering one of the 4 torx screws
    3. remove all 4 perimeter screws
    4. be really really careful start at the bottom of your droid to start separation of the red chassis. Use your finger nail to unsnap all the catches. There are 3 per side, 2 on bottom and 3 on top.
    5. After removal of the red chassis carefully remove the speaker component. It will rip the foam attaching it to the red chassis thats normal.
    6. Use your hobby knife to cut the small tape holding the top frame to the bottom speaker.
    7. Now you can see where the material collapsed. Using patience and dexterity carefully fabricate a reinforcement strip and attach it so the speaker component is level.
    8. Reattach the component frame using a small dot of super glue, let dry
    9. Reattach speaker by using 4 tiny dots of super glue to the foam, let dry (make sure it is situated the correct way!)
    10. Reattach red chassis to the phone.
    11. Reassemble using the torx screws.
    12. Replace battery, sd card and cover.
    13. Power up phone and test.
    Last edited by razor02097; 12-20-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Updated for second procedure

Super Moderator
    Updated: one new procedure and updated information on first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by EFINIncredible View Post
    Watchout for Razorburn
    Motorola Barrage V860
    Stock Motorola Xoom

Administrator
    Twitter
    jkhonea
    That is an OUTSTANDING write up, Razor. Thank you.

Phone: iPhone 4S
    Jailbroken

Tablet: Nexus 7
    BAMF Paradigm 2.0

Tablet: iPad 3

http://twitter.com/jkhonea

jkhonea94@gmail.com

Rescue Squad
    Nice write-up razor! Fortunately, I have not had any blown speakers yet, but I will dig up this thread when I do!

Wow! That is all........

Cool I had a blown speaker and my third party insurance covered it too bad it took 2 weeks to get back. If it ever happens again ill try this since they took off the void stickers and never put any back on and if I fail I still have insurance

Super Moderator
    If it helps out even one person then I am happy.

I have tested the second fix for about an hour now at medium to high volume and can really tell a difference.
    The volume is louder for sure and when a high pitch (such as a cymbal) hits it no longer has a "tap" sound. Definite improvement.

I guess we will see if the repair lasts a year or not
    Quote Originally Posted by EFINIncredible View Post
    Watchout for Razorburn
    Motorola Barrage V860
    Stock Motorola Xoom

For a temporary fix I used a negative pressure technique to get the speaker to work but it only lasted a week before the speaker went completly... do not apply positive pressure!

Sent from my D' Inc using ShapeWriter
    Get Fuzzy
    Stock phone

Ads