Phone reboots all the time now...

This is a discussion on Phone reboots all the time now... within the HTC Incredible Rescue Squad Rooted Help forums, part of the HTC Incredible Rescue Squad category; Not sure what the best course of action is here. My Inc seems to get hot pretty easily when in use and will start to ...

+ Reply to Thread

Phone reboots all the time now...

Not sure what the best course of action is here. My Inc seems to get hot pretty easily when in use and will start to reboot at about 38 c. Once that starts happening nothing else works right either and the phone gets very quirky..homescreens will stay in preview mode or the screen blacks out altogether, navigation causes reboots almost instantly. I am rooted s off and not sure if its better to go the warranty route or drop the phone in the lake if u kwim. I've had the phone since July problem free and this problem just started a week or so ago.
    Incredible 2...waiting for the goodies

GTalk & Twitter: vox213
    Have you ever noticed that after Mon and Tues. even the calendar says W T F!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Are you playing a lot of Angry Birds? Serious question. That gets your CPU running like crazy and can cause overheating and reboots. How long does your phone go before reaching 38 and what are you doing at the time? Current ROM and kernel? Moving to Rescue Squad Rooted, btw.

Administrator
    Twitter
    jkhonea
    Also, what battery are you using, and what ROM? Are you using several things like gps and Internet? See if we can track this down. If you're current signature is accurate, can pull a lot of info from that. I'm using the the new stock kernel and haven't had any temperature problems. Can you think of any benchmark as to when this might have started? Any change you might have made to the system?

Phone: iPhone 4S
    Jailbroken

Tablet: Nexus 7
    BAMF Paradigm 2.0

Tablet: iPad 3

http://twitter.com/jkhonea

jkhonea94@gmail.com

Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Hah- I totally ignored the signature info because of the (but I am a ROM flashing addict) part.

Ok...I had been running the new HTC kernel via redemption rom without incident last week. I tried the few aosp roms known to work with the RIL radio fix and it seems that's where my problems started. I installed CM6.0.2 then applied the radio fix...got reboots so I wiped and reflashed my Redemption recovery. Then I decided to try it out on Ruby 1.1.4...couldn't even get passed Google apps set up before rebooting started. Back to sense I went with the New Guy rom. Then last night while on my skyfire browser the NG rom started rebooting....his rom also uses the new HTC kernel. I knew I always had stability with SkyRaider....so now I'm on the SR 3.3.2 sense final and had reboots with it once after flashing and about 4 times after turning on navigation for 3 minutes

Other possible helpful info:
    I always wipe and backup manually in recovery ...including dalvik cache wipe.
    I don't play the dirty bird game.
    I use setCPU with profiles.
    I also noticed that most times after rebooting my 3rd party app Widgets need reset.

When at home I am mostly using wifi but occasionally I have to switch to 3g to kickstart market downloads.

It happens in navigation 100% of the time.

Battery: I switch between stock and seidio 1750

Rescue Squad
    I'm at work right now so I can't really pull apart the RIL but my hunch is that this shouldn't be the issue. Anything flashed via recovery should be gone when you do a full wipe.

My first thought was maybe a kernel overclocked too high but since you're switching ROMs, I'm assuming you're keeping the stock kernel from these ROMs. Maybe try and disable SetCPU and see if that works.

Maybe Doug or someone else has an idea, if not I'll take a look at the RIL tonight.

I really appreciate the replies...I am thinking it could be a hardware issue due to the variations with roms and kernels and the two common denominators seem to be battery temp and any navigation use. Since the phone cooled off overnight and I haven't used navigation, skyraider 3.3.2 has been running well with stock HTC kernel. Reboots (deliberate ones) are better and my widgets stayed in place....i even threw a theme on without problems....but I haven't used my phone much at all today so that probably means nothing.

My DInc also reboots frequently. Like lstarr using Navigator (with google maps) will cause a reboot 99% of the time (1% for very short trips). Running Navigator and Doggcatcher together is a guaranteed reboot.

I miss having a reliable GPS system on my phone. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah773 View Post
    My DInc also reboots frequently. Like lstarr using Navigator (with google maps) will cause a reboot 99% of the time (1% for very short trips). Running Navigator and Doggcatcher together is a guaranteed reboot.

I miss having a reliable GPS system on my phone. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    It turns out I had a bad processor and returned my phone for a warranty replacement and have not had this issue at all with the new phone. I believe there was a bad batch of processors in some HTC phones (some EVOs had the same problems) If you can, call Verizon and let them know and they should send you a warranty replacement. Be sure to unroot first if you are rooted.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ads