No hboot usb plug
I am having difficulty rooting and I am trying to follow all of the instructions on the unrevoked site. I am stuck at trying to update the drivers.
1 - I powered off my phone
2 - I turned it back on into HBOOT
3 - I waited until it loaded the SD card or whatever
4 - I plug in the USB cable
... and NOTHING happens.
1 - The "HBOOT" letters in the blue box do not change to "HBOOT USB PLUG"
2 - I look in the device manager of my computer and do not see an Android 1.0 or any Android reference, nor do I see anything under "Other Devices"
3 - I have looked through my programs on the computer and did not see HTC Sync or any others to uninstall.
4 - I have downloaded the drivers but I dont know how to update them because I don't see any of the options referenced in (2 - above).
I feel like I'm missing something really simple, but never the less I am stuck.
Verizon HTC Incredible
Android Version 2.2
Baseband Version 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel Version 22.214.171.124-gb7b01d1 htc-kernel@and18-2#1
Build Number 3.21.605.1 CL231334
Software Number 3.21.605.1
In the USB connection type menu
Default Connection Type "Charge Only"
Ask Me (checked)
In the Applications / Development menu
USB debugging (checked)
Please help if you can. I have searched many forums and haven't found an answer yet. I hope I am not asking a question that has been answered already, I apologize in advance if I am. Thanks.
11-11-2011 12:15 PM
Check out the rooting tutorial that is linked to this thread- Rooting/ Flashing ROMs/ Unrooting stickies
Thank you for the reply. These are the directions that I have been trying to follow. After I complete step 6 (plugging in the USB cable) the HBOOT does not change to HBOOT USB PLUG. Am I supposed to update the drivers before this step? If so, how?
I have downloaded those files. Is there a way to install them before connecting the phone?
If installing on Mac OS: No driver needed. Skip to Step 2.
Download and install unrEVOked modified USB Driver
In XP: the New Hardware Found Wizard should appear. Tell it NOT to use Windows Update, and moving along, tell it to look in a specified location. It will pop up a file open dialog. Navigate to the Android USB Driver folder, click OK then click Next.
- Uninstall HTC Sync, DoubleTwist, and DropBox from the PC. They can be reinstalled later if you desire, but for now they've got to go.
- Download and unzip the file (from the link above), leaving the folder Android USB Driver somewhere like on your desktop
- Unplug your phone from USB
- Power down your phone
- Now simultaneously press the volume DOWN button and the power button, holding till the HBOOT screen appears
- Now connect the USB cable between the phone and your PC
- The word HBOOT (blue box with white letters) will change to HBOOT USB PLUG
- Look at your Windows Device Manager (to open Device Manager, right click My Computer, select Manage..., select the Device Manager) and see if you already have Android Phone listed for HBOOT as shown in one of the images in the link below. If you see the Android Phone, you're ready to root and can skip the rest of this. Otherwise, you do not have HBOOT-capable drivers, and you need to install them. Windows should be looking for drivers now. At this point things may differ between XP and Vista/7.
In Windows Vista/ Windows 7: You might not see the New Hardware Found Wizard. Open the Device Manager (Right click My Computer, select Manage, then select the Device Manager). You will see an Android Phone node in the tree with a "caution" icon node beneath it. Right click on the caution-marked node and select Update Driver. Select NOT to look in Windows Update; instead, choose Install from a specified location. It will pop up a file open dialog. Navigate to the Android USB Driver folder, click OK, then click Next.
Complete driver instruction list (including pictures): public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]
Did you do step 2, download and unzip the file leaving the folder Android USB Driver somewhere easy to find?
HTC Incredible 1 - Sky Raider 4.3 UnrEVOked
HTC Incredible 2 - SkyRaider Zeus Revolutionary S-Off & Root
Galaxy Nexus - AOSP 4.0.3 Plain
Yes, I created a specific folder just for rooting files. I downloaded the drivers and unzipped them in that folder. But when I plug in my phone I can't even find it at all in device manager so that I can update the driver. Unless I am missing something.
I will try moving the file to the desktop. I am on a PC - Windows Vista. Yes I am booting into HBOOT on my phone prior to plugging in the phone to the USB.
Is it possible that there is something blocking my phone from recognizing that it is plugged into a computer? (Just thinking since when I plug in the USB cable HBOOT doesn't even change to HBOOT USB)