What's wrong with this Incredible?

This is a discussion on What's wrong with this Incredible? within the HTC Incredible Help forums, part of the HTC Incredible Assistance category; I just bought a used but in very good (mint) condition HTC Incredible off ebay for my daughter for her 13th birthday, and activated with ...

+ Reply to Thread

What's wrong with this Incredible?

I just bought a used but in very good (mint) condition HTC Incredible off ebay for my daughter for her 13th birthday, and activated with PagePlus(which is verizon network). Everything was working good for a week or so, and last night she showed me that the display is split with black color on the left side and white on the right. From a sound standpoint, It sounds as though all the functions are still working, but the display isn't working (I posted a pic as it is hard to describe it). I tried reboootng, as well as tried a hard factory reset but since the display is messed up, its impossible to complete.

The only thing I can think of is that it got jarred real hard in her purse recently(Can't get a straight answer), causing the display to go out. The screen is not cracked, so I am thinking it is the actual LCD (It is the AMOLED version). I am so bummed as I paid $200 for it and now am going to have to tear it apart and fix it.

Can anyone confirm that it is the LCD that is bad, or could it be something else(like the LCD ribbon cable may be loose) or is there anything else I can try before I go through the hassle and expense to replace the LCD. It is completely stock everything, Verizon Official,(froyo) and has not been rooted - I can't comment on the radio version since I can't see the screens.

Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

2011-07-06_09-59-17_31.jpg
    Thanks,
    Michael

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Twitter
    jkhonea
    Looking at that, I would lean towards a loose display ribbon. With the rest of the description, doesn't sound software related. I would almost bet it was banged hard resulting in this.

Phone: iPhone 4S
    Jailbroken

Tablet: Nexus 7
    BAMF Paradigm 2.0

Tablet: iPad 3

http://twitter.com/jkhonea

jkhonea94@gmail.com

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I took it apart and the LCD cable was not loose, so I guess the LCD is shot - It stinks because I also damaged the Digitizer ribbon cable on the disassembly, so now it looks like I am replacing both the LCD and the Digitizer(unless there is a way to just replace the cable on it). Turning out to be an expensive used phone.

Hopefully this will fix the problem, or I am really going to be bummed.

Update to this issue - The new LCD and Digitizer did not fix it - LCD lights up with lines and junk, not any type of image. So at this point, I have to assume that the board or the connector on the board is shot on this one since there really aren't any more replacable parts on this endeavor as far as I know (unless somebody knows otherwise. I just wasted another $80 on parts on a phone I just bought for $200.

My opinion too is that replacing a digitizer on these things is not for the faint of heart and is time consuming if you are picky about the screen being as good as factory, unless you buy the digitizer aleady premounted on the frame.

I ended up just buying another Incredible off ebay for $150 as a replacement.

One thing that I find disappointing is the warranty policy for HTC units compared to Motorola. I am on Page Plus, not Verizon, which is a prepaid plan on Verizons network, and although the phone was under the 1 year manufacturers warranty and this was an internal problem, HTC requires the warranty to go through the carrier only, so I could not qualify. A few months back I had a similar issue with a Moto Droid, and Motorola honored the phone warranty since it has nothing to do with the carrier.

Ads