Issue: cannot maintain 3G/1G connection

This is a discussion on Issue: cannot maintain 3G/1G connection within the HTC Incredible Help forums, part of the HTC Incredible Assistance category; Once I leave wifi area, 3G is not kicking in (I've had the phone since 4/29 - I know the area supports 3G). To get ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Issue: cannot maintain 3G/1G connection

Once I leave wifi area, 3G is not kicking in (I've had the phone since 4/29 - I know the area supports 3G).

To get 3G, I have to go Settings -> Wireless & networks... 3rd option from the bottom starts spooling up - Mobile Networks. Once it connects, I show 3G on status bar. HOWEVER, when I exit settings and go back to home screen, 3G drops.

So I go back to Wireless & networks, 3G spools up...go back to home screen and it drops >.<

Pandora & Slacker - I get 2 songs (mostly likely cached) and then silence...have to go to Wireless & networks to 'capture' 2 more songs... in the car, this is no bueno.

Enable always-on mobile data = OFF...but this is nothing new, it's been OFF since 4/29.

Phone is 3months old, this wackiness just started... makes calls fine but I ain't paying this much per month just to check voicemail.

Anybody seen this madness before? I'm open to just about any fix...up to and including chicken bones & entrails swirled in a pan and dumped on the floor.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Only time I have seen this issue is with Alltel towers that VZ took over. My coworker had a Motor Droid that I have been helping him learn, but he rarely gets 3G in our area. I know he needs a hybrid prl, but for some reason, VZ continues to give him the run around on getting one.

You could also do the *228 update method to see if something has changed.
    Last edited by mjs31; 07-14-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Mjs31, there is a link floating around here with a do it yourself prl update for alltel

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkinc View Post
    Mjs31, there is a link floating around here with a do it yourself prl update for alltel
    Right, that is for the Inc and he has the Moto Droid. Easy with the Inc, not so much with that phone. I already have mine in place that was automatically pushed to me via Verizon.

i had the same problem with my phone (also picked up on 4/29) took it to the local store and they couldnt fix it either. Had to end up getting a CLNR device. ive had it two weeks and no issues thus far.

The HTC reps at Verizon store said this is a power save technique... If you place a phone call the bars rise

Active Topics

Quote Originally Posted by J-Buck View Post
    The HTC reps at Verizon store said this is a power save technique... If you place a phone call the bars rise
    this may be true but on my phone that i had replaced, the 3g/1x symbol would disappear altogether. the only thing i could do in that event was place calls, no data at all! it would go from 1x to 3g back to 1x and then nothing at all.

I have also had my phone since 4/29 and also just started having this 3g connect issue 4 days ago. Have resorted to using wifi at home for internet when I NEVER had to do this before 4 days ago (and I am sitting in the exact same place on my deck I always do). Going to do a *228 and see what happens. Glad it is not just me but wonder what this about. Oh, and I am not in an area using Alltel towers.

Not sure but I think I had the issue when I had this option off: "Enable always-on mobile data". I dont think it is bad to have this on anyway. I think the default is on.

Quote Originally Posted by big.daddy View Post
    this may be true but on my phone that i had replaced, the 3g/1x symbol would disappear altogether. the only thing i could do in that event was place calls, no data at all! it would go from 1x to 3g back to 1x and then nothing at all.
    THIS. EXACTLY THIS. symbol leaves, no data in/out... still can make calls but at this point the phone might as well be a Jitterbug.

Ads