Incredible won't boot

This is a discussion on Incredible won't boot within the HTC Incredible Hacks forums, part of the HTC Incredible Development category; My Incredible won't boot past the "HTC Incredible" screen. I successfully rooted my phone with UNREVOKed. I changed my ROM with ROM manager and when ...

+ Reply to Thread

Incredible won't boot

My Incredible won't boot past the "HTC Incredible" screen. I successfully rooted my phone with UNREVOKed. I changed my ROM with ROM manager and when I went to try out a different one I managed to mess something up. I'm not sure what info you need to help me but right now all I want to do is a factory reset. I can get into the HBOOT screen and clockwork mod recovery but I'm pretty sure my recovery file is bunk. help.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Don't panic, you are fine. You will be up and running without too much difficulty.

First, is your SD card formatted with a FAT 32 file system?

Second, do you want to restore the stock ROM, or some other ROM?

If you want to restore the stock ROM, you MUST have your SD card formatted with a FAT 32 file system.

Here are a couple of related links...read these through, even the questions and posts after the OP, there is good info there. You do not necessarily need to un-root (return to S-on), but that is an option if you want to. You can just install the stock ROM.

Formatting SD card to FAT32

How to get back to complete stock from s-off

If you want to restore a ROM that is NOT stock (easier, quicker... especially if your SD card is not FAT 32).

Here is a link...

Flashing ROMs tutorial

My version of intalling a new ROM is like this...

Download the ROM you want to install (on your computer).

Transfer the ROM_YOU_WANT.zip file from your computer to your SD card (do not put it inside any folders).

Boot phone to Clockwork Recovery. From the Clockwork menu, use trackball to move and select.

First, wipe the the system (steps 1-3). Second, install the ROM (step 4).

1. Select "wipe data/factory reset" option... select YES wipe data (amongst all the NO options)

2. Select "wipe cache partition" option... select YES wipe cache

3. Select "advanced"

Select "wipe Dalvik Cache"... YES (don't worry about the error code)

Push the power button to return to main Clockwork menu.

4. Select "install zip from sdcard"

...select the ROM_YOU_WANT.zip file... YES...

Wait for install.

Reboot phone.
    Last edited by iowabeakster; 05-08-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Red face

Wow. Thanks Duder. I owe you a beer.

Glad to help.

FYI...It's safer to install ROM's from Clockwork Recovery. Don't use ROM Mananger.

Just curious... what ROM did you do?
    Last edited by iowabeakster; 05-08-2011 at 11:24 PM.

I went with Skyraider 4. Not much different then the stock ROM but it works really well so far. What are you using? And any suggestions on a Kernel that will improve battery life? Thanks again for everything!

I am using Redemption Rom 2.4. It also is very similar to a stock experience, just a little better in all respects. I've been thinking about trying SkyRaider 4.0. I like the available customizations that SR 4.0 offers. I've been waiting to hear more feedback before I give it a shot. It doesn't sound like a very different experience from Redemption, except for a bunch of small custom tweaks. But my laziness may win out and just stay with Redemption...I'm happy with it. If there ever is a true gingerbread/sense 2+ release for the incredible, I will try that.

I haven't done much (or anything really) with trying out various Kernels. Sorry, I don't have any advice to give. The way I use my phone, I get very acceptable battery life. Redemption allows the choice of several kernels, but I've never been motivated enough to experiment. I've heard good things about Lou's kernels (guy who put together Redemption). I've just stayed with his #4 kernel (the default with Redemption). Most days, I go to bed with more than 80% of my battery left. If I am constantly doing power hungry operations with my phone, I will run the battery down, but on those days I don't think any kernel tweak is hardly going to make much of a difference.
    Last edited by iowabeakster; 05-09-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Ads