I've rooted my phone... what next?

This is a discussion on I've rooted my phone... what next? within the HTC Incredible Hacks forums, part of the HTC Incredible Development category; Hey guys, so I finally mustered up the courage to go ahead and root my Dinc yesterday using unrEVOked 3.3, and it worked flawlessly! Since ...

+ Reply to Thread

I've rooted my phone... what next?

Hey guys, so I finally mustered up the courage to go ahead and root my Dinc yesterday using unrEVOked 3.3, and it worked flawlessly! Since then, I've been sort of at a loss as to what I should be doing now that I rooted my phone.

I know you have the ability to change the theme, remove bloatware, and improve battery life, but I am just unsure as to what exactly I should be doing first and how to do it. I was planning on installing a custom ROM, because from what I understand, that will usually remove a lot of bloatware and install a wireless tethering function to the phone (correct me if I'm wrong?).

However, I was also reading that you sometimes need to have something called a kernel in addition to get a custom ROM to work? Can anyone provide any clarification to this 'kernel' thing? =P Also, are there any requirements your phone must have before installing certain ROMs - i.e. wiping it clean? As a complete newbie to this whole rooting business, what ROM(s) do you all recommend that will be easy to install and give the Dinc a new look/feel (bloatware removal and tethering capability is a plus, lol)?

And finally, are there any other suggestions as to what I should/can be doing now that I've rooted my phone?

Sorry for the huge load of questions, but I appreciate all feedback... thanks a bunch!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Well, first of all, good job! I've used to UnrEVOked method as well and it's great. First of all, I think you should update the base-band RADIO to 11.19;
    Instructions here [Radios] NEW Official Radio Thread - xda-developers

Then, I would suggest getting an app called "RomManager" from the Market, if you don't already have it. Using that, make a backup of your phone, then go here: dirLIST - Index of: home/ and click on "builds"

From there, select the latest build and download it to the root of your SD; This is the -latest- release of CyanogenMod7, nightly builds, they are running VERY smooth on my SLCD inc and it makes tethering SO EASY, thats why I'm reccomending this. Plus, I love CyanogenMod

(WARNING!) MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE LATEST ONE, check the date, check the number of the build. Make sure you wipe your dalvik cache before you flash this ROM! It can be done easily from ClockWorkMod recovery.

After all that is done I would get the app "SetCPU" and underclock it when the screen is off.

If you need help performing any of the steps, let me know! I'd be happy to walk you through or post a tut here. If you want screenshots, let me know! I can post them here if you like, too.

(All credit to Cyanogenmod team and a huge thank you to gridlock32404 for taking over until the official nightlies are back)

Download rom manager from the market place. This will allow you to back up your stock rom. Then you can download a new rom from rom manager or find one in the forums. I personally recommended the newest version of the redemption rom. Most Rome have kernel built in them.

sent from my HTC incredible

Rescue Squad
    I agree with enlightened... there is no need to touch the radio. And you don't need to download the kernel separately. All ROMs come with kernel included.

Also recommend you get Titanium Backup so that you can backup and restore your apps.

Thank you all very much for your fast replies!!! I definitely appreciate it.

After doing some research, I decided to try out Redemption Rom v2.3 since it seems to be widely-used and stable (and allows for tethering, removal of bloatware, etc). I downloaded the zip file a few minutes ago, and am now a bit stuck as to what my next steps should be. Should I just copy the zip file to my SD card, run ROM Manager and select "Install ROM from SD CARD," or are there additional actions I should take before I do that (and how might I go about doing them)?

The Redemption Rom website says the following requirements are necessary:
    1. Nandroid Backup
    2. Rooted
    3. ClockworkMod Recovery
    4. 2.xx Radio - [Radio] The Official Radio Thread - xda-developers
    5. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    6. Wipe Cache
    7. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    To be honest, I am not sure how to accomplish requirements 4 through 7 - could I just follow the directions on this page? How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Incredible | TheUnlockr If so, then where does ROM manager come into play? I know I have a Nandroid backup because that was Step 3 in the unrEVOked rooting process on the thread. I do not know if I have requirement 3 (Clockworkmod Recovery) though... but I remember accessing it during the unrEVOked rooting process as well? Finally, I know you said not to worry about the Radio, but since requirement 4 explicitly states I should have a 2.xx version of it, is this something I should be concerned about?

Once again, thank you to all of you so much for your assistance... I would be pretty lost otherwise.

Rescue Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman13 View Post
    Thank you all very much for your fast replies!!! I definitely appreciate it.

After doing some research, I decided to try out Redemption Rom v2.3 since it seems to be widely-used and stable (and allows for tethering, removal of bloatware, etc). I downloaded the zip file a few minutes ago, and am now a bit stuck as to what my next steps should be. Should I just copy the zip file to my SD card, run ROM Manager and select "Install ROM from SD CARD," or are there additional actions I should take before I do that (and how might I go about doing them)?

The Redemption Rom website says the following requirements are necessary:
    1. Nandroid Backup
    2. Rooted
    3. ClockworkMod Recovery
    4. 2.xx Radio - [Radio] The Official Radio Thread - xda-developers
    5. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    6. Wipe Cache
    7. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    To be honest, I am not sure how to accomplish requirements 4 through 7 - could I just follow the directions on this page? How To: Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Incredible | TheUnlockr If so, then where does ROM manager come into play? I know I have a Nandroid backup because that was Step 3 in the unrEVOked rooting process on the thread. I do not know if I have requirement 3 (Clockworkmod Recovery) though... but I remember accessing it during the unrEVOked rooting process as well? Finally, I know you said not to worry about the Radio, but since requirement 4 explicitly states I should have a 2.xx version of it, is this something I should be concerned about?

Once again, thank you to all of you so much for your assistance... I would be pretty lost otherwise.
    Follow this tutorial here to flash your ROM, Flashing ROMs tutorial.

As for #4, you only need to verify that you have 2.xx radio. Chances are, you probably do, but to check, go Menu->Settings->About phone->Software information and check your Baseband version.

Hey everyone - thanks a lot for your help!! I would be utterly lost otherwise. So, I actually decided at the last second that I would use Cyanogen (6.1, I believe) as my ROM. I ended up using ROM Manager, and it was much easier than I thought. In fact, the hardest part for me was just figuring out which ROM to use and waiting for it to install!

Do any of you have any suggestions as to what other features to take advantage of with a rooted phone? Thanks again!

You can try flashing new themes and/or kernals to change the looks and feel. Just make sure that they are compatable with your new rom and do plenty of research before you pick one..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Rooted- Unrevoked 3
    Rom- Redemption Rom 2.3
    Radio- 2.15
    Kernel- Heyitslou #6
    Theme- Viva! Azul 2.5

To answer your question, for most people at least, the best feature after rooting your phone is to be able to play around with the different roms that are available out there. You researched and found one you like so check out some more and realize the full potential of your phone!

Root: Unrevoked v3.2, S-Off
    Clock: 1.13 GHz
    Kernel: 2.6.32.17 Homebrewed #10
    Radio: 2.15.00.11.19
    ROM: Latest CM7 Build W/ Theme Mixer
    Revovery: ClockworkMod 2.5.1.2
    SD Card: 8GB PNY Class 4

Ads