How to upgrade to 2.2 (Froyo) from 2.1
- Fully charge your phone. The RUU tool you are about to use requires a lot of battery power.
- Format your SD card to FAT32. Don't forget to back up whatever you have on there onto your computer before you format the card because everything will be erased.
- Place this file- http://dougpiston.com/files/RUU/buil...00_PB31IMG.zip onto your SD card- not in any folders.
- Rename the file to just PB31IMG (no zip at the end)
- Unplug your phone and power off.
- Reboot into HBoot by pressing Power + Volume -(down) at the same time.
- Let the tool run itself- it will update your radio to 2.15 and update your phone to Android 2.2. Let it run- don't touch the phone while this is doing its thing!
- Reboot your phone normally when tool is completed.
- Congratulations- you're now running stock Froyo!
- Optional- Follow steps in this tutorial- http://www.incredibleforum.com/forum...d-3-21-a.html- to (re)root phone using unrEVOked 3.21 and enjoy your updated, re-rooted phone!
Last edited by enlightened; 11-07-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Reason: Link updated
10-19-2010 11:10 AM
Time to slay another dragon, or denigrate another shibboleth.
Originally Posted by enlightened
The file, when deposited on the sdcard, most assuredly WILL have the .zip extension, it WILL be named PB31IMG.zip.
There is confusion sown here by Windoze' attempt to "keep it simple, stupid". By default, file listings omit extensions, those little codas like .bat, .exe, .zip, .txt. Galileo is said to have muttered "Eppur si muove" ("And yet it does move") but we'll here just note that while those extensions may not show up on your screen, they assuredly still exist.
Display any folder with assorted file types. Change from an Icon View, if that's what you have, to a List View. Suppose there is a file called "abcd.zip". If you right-click on it, you can rename it -- if you type "lmnop" as the new name, what you are actually left with is "lmnop.zip", that ".zip" part remaining a part of the file name just as it was when the file was called "abcd.zip".
Now then, please follow the bouncing ball: cllickTools at the top of the window, then select Folder Options, then View.
As shipped, Windows sets the option to "Hide extensions for known file types". Uncheck it, hit Apply, and now look at your listing. You'll see the full name, say "lmnop.zip". Should you choose to revert its name, be sure to type "abcd.zip"!
I advise you to ditch the default and stay with NOT hiding the extensions. Then, when lisiting the sdcard, expect to see PB31IMG.zip -- you do not, however want to see PB31IMG.zip.zip!
Another little point here: unlike Windoze, the Android Operating system, based as it is on Linux, does care about case in filenames (and commands). Files called dataset and DataSet are two different entities, so follow instructions carefully and preserve upper/lower case when entering filenames.
When I try this I get no image or wrong image. I have 2.1 rooted with unrevoked and clockwork recovery mod. Any ideas?
Is your SD card formatted to FAT32?
Anyway to check to see if its fat32 through astro?
sent from my incredible
Do you have a memory card reader for your computer? If not a cheap solution is to go to radio shack or equivalent and pick up a micro sd 2 or 4gb card with USB adapter... somewhere around 10 bucks. This way you can format the card without having to plug in your phone and have your rom on a separate card.
One I have looks like this...
BTW not to hijack the thread but will this work to go back to stock 2.2 from the recent OTA?