Flashing ROMs tutorial

This is a discussion on Flashing ROMs tutorial within the HTC Incredible Hacks forums, part of the HTC Incredible Development category; INPUT NEEDED! What procedure do YOU use to flash ROMs? I want to make this as informative as possible, so it would be great to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg

Lightbulb Flashing ROMs tutorial

INPUT NEEDED! What procedure do YOU use to flash ROMs? I want to make this as informative as possible, so it would be great to hear from lots of people- those who use Titanium Backup, people who don't; people who use ROM Manager, people who don't, etc. (you get where I'm going with this.)

Thanks for helping prevent boot loops and heart attacks in the future!

EDIT: I will be editing everything so incomplete sentences, typos, etc. are okay! Just looking for general thought processes.
    Last edited by enlightened; 10-01-2010 at 06:38 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Twitter
    hotTACOcheese
    My process is in the one click root tut.

mobile
    Devices-

Incredible | Rooted | S-OFF | Dual Booted With CM7 and MIUI
    Incredible 2 | Rooted | S-OFF |

Cool Don's Rom Installer Guide

Here's how I do it...and I dont use Rom Manager to install Roms but i use it for other things. First time rom installers go to the market and download Titanium backup premium and Rom Manager. These are must haves!!!

First....backup apps in Titanium but before that....Go to settings, applications, check "unknown sources" then click on "Development" and ensure USB debugging is enabled. Back out to the home screen and open titanium backup.

If this is the first time using titanium, click "problems" on the bottom and click "yes do it". Let busy box install then go back into titanium. press Menu, then batch, and select the second line down "Backup all user apps". and select run. (If you've backed up before, first thing I do is scroll down to the bottom and run "delete all backups" then go back to the top and run the backup...just how I do it..:-)). Once it's done back out of titanium. Do not backup any system data of any kind...we'll do that in Recovery.

Next I find the rom I want to download. Using the computer I download the zip, hook the phone to the computer, open Windows Explorer or My Computer and ensure you can see the SD card. If you havent done so already, rename your SD card so you know you're placing files in the right place. right click on it and click rename. Now, find the zip file you downloaded and drag it to your SD card. I place them in the "download" folder on the zip. once that's been copied, unplug your phone from the computer.

Now that your apps are backed up and you have the rom on your sd card, you're ready to go into Recovery. I use Rom Manager to do this by opening it and selecting "Reboot into Recovery".

Once in recovery, first thing you want to do is backup your current rom system files. scroll down with the trackball or the volume down button to "backup and restore". press the trackball and select "Backup" and let it do it's thing. Once it's done you want to select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset", select yes and let it do it's thing. After it's done get back to the main screen (tap power button to go back) and select "wipe cache partition", select yes and let it go. After that go back to the main screen and select "advanced" then select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Once that's done go back to main screen and select "install zip from sd card" then select "choose zip from sd card". Navigate to where you downloaded the zip file and select it then hit yes. let it do it's thing and when done select "Reboot System Now"

The phone will boot up and you're done. You'll have to go in and restablish your google account and all that jazz. Once it's all done go to the market and download "Titanium backup". Before going in, go to settings>applications>check unknown sources then go to developement and ensure USB debugging is checked. Back out to the home screen and open titanium. Select problems>yes do it and let busy box install. Once thats done restart titanium, select menu, batch, and scroll down to "Restore all Apps with Data" and select run. After that is done...you're done. All your old apps should be there and should work. This is a chance that a few of the apps may not work with the new rom. Before removing it and reinstalling it, go into Rom manager and select "fix permissions" and let it run. After that is done try the app again. If it doesnt work then uninstall it and reinstall. Enjoy your new rom!
    X-Iphone user and lifelong AT&T Basher. She has the DINC 2, daughter has the DINC and Im rockin the Razr MAXX.

Rescue Squad
    Alright. Alright. Back on topic before Enlightened gives me a "custom" sig.

Apps used: Titanium Backup (paid version), Quick Boot (free), Astro (free)

Procedure:
    • Open titanium backup, Run batch to backup all apps (good idea to update all apps in the market first)
    • Place .zip file of ROM on the root of the SD card
    • If the dev or person hosting the file provides the MD5 sum, I check it against my downloaded version using astro. Go into astro, long press on the zip file and select details. Matching MD5's ensure that the download and transfer to the SD card was not corrupted
    • Boot to recovery (Quick boot app)
    • Go to backup/restore menu, select backup (ie. Nandroid). Let it do its thing.
    • Wipe Data
    • Wipe Cache
    • Go to advanced, wipe Dalvik
    • Go to apply from SD card, select appropriate ROM zip file
    • Select "Yes" and let it install.
    • Reboot
    • After initial setup, go to the market and re-download titanium backup. Run batch of restore apps in titanium backup
    • Redo my home screens and settings

Twitter
    dougpiston
    Ok ready for this party? Lets begin. This will be how to flash roms through the recovery screen. I felt Rom Manager was pretty self explanatory but if there is requests I can make the same type of thing for it.

So here it is. this is what your recovery screen looks like.

You will see options for
    *reboot system now |This will reboot the device|
    *apply sdcard:update.zip |You will probably never use|
    *wipe data/factory reset |Use before you flash any new rom|
    *wipe cache partition |Use before you flash any new rom|
    *install zip from sdcard |This will be the option we use to install roms|
    *backup and restore |This for backing up and restoring backups|
    *mounts and storage |For mounting the /system or USB mass storage|
    *advanced |where you can wipe the Dalvik if you please|

Now onto the steps for flashing. First we will wipe the data/factory reset. You will see it highlighted in the next screen shot. To select it press your trackball.

Next we will wipe the cache partition. Still highlighted in the next screen. Preform the action like before by pressing the trackball.

Next we are going to apply the new rom. To do this select the install zip from sdcard. Highlighted below.

The next option would be to select chose zip from sd card.

Then you will select your rom from the sd card. I had Ruby on my sd card at the time so I will show you that.

Once you have selected the rom you will get to the conformation page. Select yes in the sea of no's

Once that is done you have successfully flashed your rom. All that is left now is to reboot the device. You will see that as the first option of the main screen of recovery.

Hope this helps some of you.
    Last edited by doug piston; 01-14-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Twitter
    hotTACOcheese
    Very nice...

mobile
    Devices-

Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Awesome, Doug. Thanks for putting that together!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joshjuniorr View Post
    so i followed the steps and when i click install from sdcard it goes so fast i cant tell if it actually installed the rom or not lol. its definitely not the same cup o' noodles the moto droid was lol

ASSUMING ITS LIKE THE OLD PHONE WAS A MISTAKE LOL. i renamed the file update and i believe thats what caused my issue ahaha.
    You dont need to rename the Rom file name. Only do that if you're flashing something into Hboot like an update.
    X-Iphone user and lifelong AT&T Basher. She has the DINC 2, daughter has the DINC and Im rockin the Razr MAXX.

Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Can someone please do a quick writeup of how you use ROM Manager to flash ROMs? Should take about 2 minutes but I can't get to it myself at the moment. Thanks!

Twitter
    hotTACOcheese
    Flahing a ROM:
    Manually - 1.) Download a ROM onto your sd card
    2.) Hold Power + Optical joystick
    3.) Select Bootloader
    4.) Select Recovery
    5.) Select install .zip from sd card
    6.) select choose file from sd card
    7.) Navigate to the ROM on your sd card
    8.) Select it
    9.) select yes
    10.) Let it run and press reeboot.

Automated - 1.) open ROM manager
    2.) press install rom from sd card
    3.) choose your ROM
    4.) check back up current ROM (if you dont have one already) and wipe data cache
    5.) press ok
    6.) let it run
    7.) it will reboot on its own

< mobile >
    Devices-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads