Rooting stock 2.2 using unrEVOked 3.32 (original Inc only)
There are 2 main steps: installing drivers and running the unrEVOked 3.32 flash tool.
THIS PROCESS NOW WORKS IF YOU ACCEPTED THE OTA UPDATE IN NOVEMBER 2010!!! Note this DOES NOT WORK if you are running 2.3 (Gingerbread) or an Inc2.
Step 1: INSTALLING DRIVERS- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND THE NUMBER ONE THING PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH. Read all instructions CAREFULLY before starting.
If installing on Mac OS: No driver needed. Skip to Step 2.
Download and install unrEVOked modified USB Driver
In XP: the New Hardware Found Wizard should appear. Tell it NOT to use Windows Update, and moving along, tell it to look in a specified location. It will pop up a file open dialog. Navigate to the Android USB Driver folder, click OK then click Next.
- Uninstall HTC Sync, DoubleTwist, and DropBox from the PC. They can be reinstalled later if you desire, but for now they've got to go.
- Download and unzip the file (from the link above), leaving the folder Android USB Driver somewhere like on your desktop
- Unplug your phone from USB
- Power down your phone
- Now simultaneously press the volume DOWN button and the power button, holding till the HBOOT screen appears
- Now connect the USB cable between the phone and your PC
- The word HBOOT (blue box with white letters) will change to HBOOT USB PLUG
- Look at your Windows Device Manager (to open Device Manager, right click My Computer, select Manage..., select the Device Manager) and see if you already have Android Phone listed for HBOOT as shown in one of the images in the link below. If you see the Android Phone, you're ready to root and can skip the rest of this. Otherwise, you do not have HBOOT-capable drivers, and you need to install them. Windows should be looking for drivers now. At this point things may differ between XP and Vista/7.
In Windows Vista/ Windows 7: You might not see the New Hardware Found Wizard. Open the Device Manager (Right click My Computer, select Manage, then select the Device Manager). You will see an Android Phone node in the tree with a "caution" icon node beneath it. Right click on the caution-marked node and select Update Driver. Select NOT to look in Windows Update; instead, choose Install from a specified location. It will pop up a file open dialog. Navigate to the Android USB Driver folder, click OK, then click Next.
Complete driver instruction list (including pictures): public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]
STEP 2: FLASHING THE unrEVOked 3.32 TOOL (note- website just says unrEVOked 3 even though you're actually using version 3.32. Don't be alarmed/ confused.)
If you did everything right, and if your phone is a stock 2.2 Incredible, Reflash will come up and start the rooting process.
- Start phone in normal mode. (If in HBOOT from step 1, select Fastboot with the power button and then press volume down until "Reboot" is highlighted. Press the power button to select.)
- Enable USB Debugging (Settings, Applications, Development).
- Enable Unknown Sources (Settings, Applications at the top).
- Enable USB "Ask Me" mode (Settings, Connect to PC).
- Plug in the USB cable and choose Charge Only on the phone. On the Mac you may get an error about not being able to mount, click Ignore.
- On Windows (only), open the Device Manager and verify that you see the "Android for ADB"
- Get the reflash rooting tool from unrEVOked (3.32) here: unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32 (Choose the right OS! )
- Run Reflash on the PC/Mac/Linux system.
Be patient! The process involves several (4) reboots and some long periods of apparent inactivity. Let it go. Wait for at least 5 minutes before deciding it has become stuck.
How to know it worked:
Once the Reflash process completes (5 or so minutes), unplug USB and reboot the phone. It will look normal. Open the App tray and look for the Superuser app. The app details will be blank- that's entirely normal and what is to be expected. For final confirmation, reboot the phone into HBOOT and see if it says S-OFF at the top. If so, you're rooted!
Okay, I lied (sorry!)- one more step to go.
STEP 3: UPDATING RECOVERY IMAGE AND CREATING A NANDROID BACKUP (complete backup of the phone in case anything goes awry later):
NOTE: You'll already be in HBOOT (if you followed the instructions above to verify that root was successful) so do the backup now.
- While in HBOOT, use the volume buttons to navigate down to RECOVERY and press the Power button. The phone will appear to reboot but it will end up in the ClockWorkMod recovery screen.
- From now on use the trackball on the Incredible to scroll through options. Move to Backup and Restore, then select. This will show the Backup and Restore menu.
- Move to and select Backup to begin the process, which will take a few minutes.
- When the backup completes (several minutes- patience!) press the power button to return to the main ClockWorkMod menu
- Navigate to Reboot System, go.
- The phone should reboot into normal mode once backup is completed. Enjoy your phone!
BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR PHONE (such as flashing ROMs, kernels, etc.) please do lots of research so you know what you're getting into, which options work best for you, etc.
UnrEVOked 3.32 is an all-in-one tool; YOU DO NOT NEED TO RUN UNREVOKED FOREVER after rooting.
Security is turned off (S-off) by default when using this tool on the Incredible so there is nothing more that needs to be done.
CREDIT: Tutorial based largely on post by Bob Denny @ AndroidForums with obvious thanks to the unrEVOked team, too.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST REQUESTING ASSISTANCE ROOTING YOUR PHONE.
ALL HELP REQUESTS MUST BE POSTED IN A NEW RESCUE SQUAD THREAD.
Last edited by enlightened; 11-13-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Reason: updated title and initial intro
10-01-2010 02:10 PM
Not showing Android for ADB
let me give you some background first...I first rooted while running 2.1 before the ota came out. I downloaded the 2.2 update from one of the forums and everything was good. So I thought. I have not been able to send or recieve picture messages. I am currently running virtuous 3.01 radio is 2.05. So I got to thinking maybe since the unrevoked 3.21 is out maybe trying again will fix the problem. I everything done up to the reflash and see that it needs to say "Android for ADB". Mine says Android USB Devices, and under that it My HTC. I have removed sync. O btw I have two phones the rooted/broken one and a stock 2.2 unrooted phone. What should I do? reflash? please help.
Bdfan, you have your phone running normally. Boot the phone into HBoot and check Device Manager- it should now display the driver as described above.
Text messages will not be effected by root nor s-off. Text messages not sending will be caused by an error in the mms.apk. Did you wipe before installing Virtious? The rom would be the first place I would start looking.
For some reason I couldn't unzip the folder downloaded from the link. I just dl it from another site and it unzipped fine. Maybe my win7 bein quirky. I'm now rooted. The guide was on point. Made it almost dummy proof now I just need to choose a Rom. My old Droid 1 is running simply stunning. I haven't seen any mentions of his stuff so I'm assuming they don't work in my new incredible. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by joshjuniorr
That would be correct. Most all roms available for the Incredible are on Rom Manager.
There is an entire section of the site dedicated to discussing ROMs so you should start there. Also, a keyword search (upper right corner of the screen) will help you find posts elsewhere on the site. It depends on whether you want Sense-based, vanilla, etc. A few popular (and stable) ROMs that people are running are are FrankenROM and Virtuous; either of those should be a good start. There are a lot of other options though and I am by no way saying those are the 2 you should pick from, though they're a good jumping off point.
And, glad to hear you were able to root this morning without any other problems. Weird that you ran into issues with the download last night but happy it worked itself out today.
Last edited by enlightened; 10-02-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Cool. It's awesome the quick feedback and support you guys give over here. Glad I'm a member. Ty for all the help
There is a solution to unrooting but we can burn that bridge if you get there.
UPDATED!!! Fix for SLCD screens is now available. See original post for instructions.