Help - Possible Brick!

This is a discussion on Help - Possible Brick! within the HTC Incredible Hacks forums, part of the HTC Incredible Development category; First, I'm a huge noob. After successfully rooting, using unrevoked forever (hboot screen confirms S-off), I wanted to update from radio 1.x to 2.x so ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help - Possible Brick!

First, I'm a huge noob. After successfully rooting, using unrevoked forever (hboot screen confirms S-off), I wanted to update from radio 1.x to 2.x so that I could use a 2.2 ROM. Things weren't stable after the dinc_ota.zip installation so I wiped user data and cache and restored the nandroid back-up that I had made before taking the plunge with the radio (hboot screen still confirms radio 1.x, so I thought I'd be okay to just restore the backup and call it a night).

Now I'm stuck in a bootloop between the Quietly Brilliant screen and the Verizon screen. Have removed the battery and rebooted several times. No dice. Even restored the Nandriod again - still boot loop. Unfortunately, this nandroid back up is the only one I have as I deleted the 4 prior copys (I now realize that this was a fail move, but at the time thought I had really not made many/any changes between back-ups). It has now charged for a few hours and still does the bootloop thing.

Here's what I did to get the dinc_ota.zip:
    Okay, My baseband still says 1.00.03.04.06 after doing the steps that I am about to detail, and now my wifi doesnt work. I need help. This is what I did.

I downloaded the dinc_ota.zip file from this xda thread: [ROM]*07/27 Leaked OTA* Stock 2.2 with Sense [SOME BUGS!!] - xda-developers.

I then followed the instructions you (Qazme) gave (I am pasting them here to reduce scrolling for readers/helpers):
    1. Place the .zip on the SD card.
    2. Reboot your phone into hboot. (volume down + power)
    3. Select recovery on the menu.
    4. Select install zip from sdcard.
    5. Select the radio zip.
    6. Select yes.
    7. The phone now does it's thing.
    8. Now it reboots.
    9. Now you have a new radio.
    10. Be happy!

This all happened, except that I had to manually select reboot after it did its thing, but no biggie. It booted up with a sweet dinc animation, I have 720p recording, hotspot, new vz bloatware, but still no radio 2.x and now no wifi. Just to clarify, I tried to restore the nandroid AFTER doing this since it was unstable. I am currently stuck in the boot loop, I need to know what to do to make the phone boot again. I just provided the ota.zip part as background for those willing to help.

Long post, I know, but I really need help. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Shock; 08-23-2010 at 10:07 AM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Twitter
    dougpiston
    I would first download a new rom and put on the sd card. Then apply it through recovery. Just to get the phone booted up again. If you s-off like you say there is no need to update the radio in this old fashion and more dangerous way. I would use the PB31IMG method instead. It is much safer and will apply the 2.15 radio.

Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Doug, you're really quick this morning! I was just about to tell the OP to hang tight and wait until you saw the post, but you beat me to it. Impressive!

Thanks! So how do I get the new ROM on my sdcard while the phone won't boot? Connect to computer and "use device as external storage?" Another noob question: after getting to hboot then recovery how do I apply the new ROM, will there be a menu option for that? I hadn't gotten that far yet.

Also, is there a certain ROM that you would reccommend? Would Jager ROM 1.0 Chocolate (with sense) be okay? Thanks for the help so far!

Twitter
    dougpiston
    You need to have an sd card reader to plug it into your pc then transfer the rom over. While in recovery select the install from sd card. Then find the rom and select it.

You could also try going back into recovery and wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache. Do this atleast twice. Then reapply your backup.

Get the phone booting back up and then we will take on the radio challenge as I'm not understanding what you or the phone did.

Thank you, Doug! Okay, I'm going to try and wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache twice and then try to restore my backup again as I don't have a microSD reader for the comp. If that doesn't work, I'll be headed to best buy. I'll update with the results of the attempt to restore the backup. You're the man!

Twitter
    dougpiston
    I'm not the man until your phone works again.

Ok at the end of the restore it says ".android_secure.img not found. Skipping restore of applications on external storage.Restoring cache...
    sd-ext.img not found. skipping restore of /sd-ext.
    Restore complete!"

Should I still go ahead and select reboot system now?

Twitter
    dougpiston
    Yes.......................

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads