? how can i get phone to make GV calls without cell service?

This is a discussion on ? how can i get phone to make GV calls without cell service? within the HTC Incredible Hacks forums, part of the HTC Incredible Development category; First off, I just got the phone 2 days ago. It was/is on Verizon. I don't have cell service through them nor do i plan ...

+ Reply to Thread

? how can i get phone to make GV calls without cell service?

First off, I just got the phone 2 days ago. It was/is on Verizon. I don't have cell service through them nor do i plan to.
    Since I'm unemployed/poor, I thought my best option for a phone would be to get a good android phone(this is my first droid) and install the google voice app, then anytime i have a wi-fi connection, I have phone/text/email. I spent hours yesterday trying to get it to make calls, but i can only text and email. When I try to make a call I am connected to a verizon auto operator that will let you make collect/ phone-card calls.

So, I figured verizon has shit on the phone to block features that take away from their business, and decided to try to root the thing. several hours yesterday and more today... I cant get _unrevoked_ to work.. it says my firmware is too new. I have the hboot_usb driver and HashCalc, before you ask. I tried with the built-in , and custom Img flash files I downloaded. I have 2.3.4 running, btw.

Where do I go from here?
    Anybody else using a smartphone & GV without cell service?
    Is there a rom or image i can flash this phone with that doesnt have Verizon bloat and middleware?
    Why is it so hard to find useful/relevant info on internets and forums, doesnt it feel like you're wading through mountains of garbage?
    TIA if you find this post in the giant heap.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Apparently the way to do this is with a service thats built into the 2.3 android called SIP
    [h=3](Session Initiation Protocol),[/h]I'm still working on getting the SIP settings configured properly ,
    I read that there is a prog called SipDroid that may be easier than manually configuring things, might have to try that if this doesnt work.
    To use SIP to interface with the phone network, I got a free account from PBXes.com

so, I'm almost there, and if anybody has insight on getting this working right just reply to this.
    also, I havent figured out how to disable the cell radio and have the wireless stay on, any info on that would be helpful too.

I got it working. It's not optimum but it's working. after manually configuring the SIP under phone settings, verizon still hijacks the call and wants a credit card or calling card to make a call. finally installed SipDroid software,and it's a viable workaround. I still hope to get a more direct solution to making google voice to work as voIP service. If anybody else has some insight , please let me know. I also still cant turn off just the cell radio if anybody can help with that.

Ads