Spam in Notification Bar

This is a discussion on Spam in Notification Bar within the HTC Incredible General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Incredible Discussion category; I recently began receiving a white star with an orange circle in the center, in my notification bar. The message is usually some spam inviting ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spam in Notification Bar

I recently began receiving a white star with an orange circle in the center, in my notification bar. The message is usually some spam inviting me to download an app. Tapping on the message takes me to the Market to download the app. Today's was 'Find Local Singles Now'. Try the Free Zoosk Dating App.

I haven't been able to isolate the application sending me the Spam. Based on this description, I'd appreciate any ideas you may have on how to get rid of the spam app.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    • Download Astro file manager from market then open it once installed
    • press menu
    • select tools
    • select process manager
    • Write down every app that is using CPU
    • Ignore apps like dialer, android system and astro.
    • Kill the other apps that are using CPU one at a time until you stop receiving notifications.
    If all else fails you can press menu and select "kill all" which will close all non essential apps. However it won't really help narrow down the culprit.
    Quote Originally Posted by EFINIncredible View Post
    Watchout for Razorburn
    Motorola Barrage V860
    Stock Motorola Xoom

Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Check for any apps (including live wallpaper) by DrHU- apparently his apps have been causing problems for some other people.

I had the same thing happen a week ago. It only happened once.

This happened to me a few weeks ago. I forget how I figured it out but I think it was the "Catch" app. If not is was some media player type app. Sorry I can't be specific but I think I went in to running apps and figured it out.

Twitter
    hotTACOcheese
    it happened to me when i installed an game called angry monkey
    Devices-

Incredible | Rooted | S-OFF | Dual Booted With CM7 and MIUI
    Incredible 2 | Rooted | S-OFF |

Happened to my wife downloading games from Amazon (not they are to blame just saying that's where they were from) that had no reviews. Deleted all games that had no reviews and warned her against such practices. Never found out which one caused it but it stopped once the three games were uninstalled. Also looked this up good ol' google style and found several posts about it but none mentioned any of the apps she had installed. All suggested checking reviews for other people's complaints. Checked quite a few and found nothing that's when we turned to deleting the apps with no reviews.
    VidJunky FlexT9 ing everything on my ReZounding fn.
    4.3 in screen
    3.5 Sense
    1.5 Ghz processor
    Temp Rooted (No BLOAT)

And still hating BING

Looking back I loved this sig. These days it's an HTCOX.

These ads could be sent to you by Airpush "Push Notification Ads for Android". Try opting out by entering your phone's IMEI number at Airpush - Android Ad Network | Push Notification ad network | Mobile Ad network | Android app monetization
    (Choose manual opt out)

I had one ad each day next to a white star with a red circle in the middle which was really annoying. I didn't ever find which app had caused them. When I opted out, the ads stopped.

To find out your IMEI Number, dial *#06#
    (Here's a website about IMEI numbers How to Find the IMEI Number on a Mobile Phone - wikiHow )
    Last edited by Chook; 07-18-2011 at 05:03 PM.

I own a Samsung Galaxy S2 16GB. This smartphone uses Google Android Gingerbread 2.3.3 Operating System.

I recently started receiving all kinds of notifications. These different notifications I had no control of. They all share the very same thing, a white start with a red circle in the center. This star appears at the top left of the notification area.

When I checked them, I realized they were spam adds. I knew then that I had installed something that had that spam attached to but I did not what it was.

When I first looked, I found this web address and it was my first solution. Actually a good solution.

Chook, thank you for giving me a head start.

I then found a tiny App in the Market called AirPush Detector, I Installed that one and ran it and it detected all the Apps that had spam attached to them,

The App suggested me to uninstall the whole program to get rid of that spam, so I have.

One of the Apps that was on my smartphone that had spam, a program called Friends.

Thank you all.

Airpush Detector also. Worked as it was supposed to and showed culprit app... Uninstalled and no more white star and unwanted ads...

Ads