Location Settings

This is a discussion on Location Settings within the HTC Incredible General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Incredible Discussion category; Hello all! In trying to save battery life, I am thinking of disabling some (or all) of the location settings. I really don't know the ...

+ Reply to Thread

Location Settings

Hello all! In trying to save battery life, I am thinking of disabling some (or all) of the location settings. I really don't know the different between "VZW Location Services", "Standalone GPS Services", and "Google Location Services", so some help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Seth

2. # ADS
    Ads

I disable Standalone GPS Services , I think that one is the battery hog. I am prompted to enable Standalone GPS if I open an app that uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Croxton View Post
    Hello all! In trying to save battery life, I am thinking of disabling some (or all) of the location settings. I really don't know the different between "VZW Location Services", "Standalone GPS Services", and "Google Location Services", so some help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Seth
    VZW and Google location services use the cell towers to track your location. these are not as accurate as the stand alone GPS. I would disable the Stand alone GPS but I doubt if you will notice a whole lot of battery life increase. Ive had some luck with a program called Green Power premium from the app market. If your planning on not rooting your phone I would suggest a larger capacity battery.
    DInc CyanogenMOD 6.1.0

Ah, okay! Thanks for the info!

Super Moderator
    Google location services isn't like a GPS service... It actually uses your VZW location service and/or GPS to acquire your location and using that you can search for things around you. For example... you want the phone number to the nearest Lowe's. Type "Lowe's" into Google and the first result should be the nearest location with address and phone number.

The VZW location services triangulate your location using the cell towers. This is the exact thing that E911 uses to track where the caller is. Enabling the VZW location services only allow apps to use that service to track your location.

In terms of increased battery life, It really depends on how much it is used...

The Stand alone GPS is just like it says. It is a GPS device that tracks your location. This is the most accurate type of location service. The phone is smart enough that it will only use the GPS when it is needed. So even if it is enabled it will not actually turn on until an app that tells it to do so. Battery life savings will depend on how much you and your apps normally used the GPS. Disabling it when you don't need it will not necessarily increase your battery life.

Look at widgets like weather and news. Most will poll your location using the VZW location service. Some might actually use the GPS. It really depends on the app.
    Last edited by razor02097; 03-04-2011 at 07:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EFINIncredible View Post
    Watchout for Razorburn
    Motorola Barrage V860
    Stock Motorola Xoom

Ads