Resolution of "low on space" notification

This is a discussion on Resolution of "low on space" notification within the HTC Incredible General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Incredible Discussion category; HAD TO RESET I had to factory reset but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. Only took an hour to get ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Resolution of "low on space" notification

HAD TO RESET
    I had to factory reset but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.
    Only took an hour to get the phone settings back.

After getting the error for the 5th time, the phone froze. there was no other option.

The good thing is that I've learned so much about settings now I don't imagine i'll ever have a memory problem again.

App Brain made the process almost painless
    AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market

NOW I KNOW

The killer is FACEBOOK & TWITTER contact sync turning that setting off makes a huge difference in memory.
    The reason i know is contact storage used to be my largest app at a whopping, obese 455MB.
    Now my largest app is a 7MB game i now this through
    SETTINGS>MANAGE APPLICATIONS (Sort by size)

So i believe CONTACT SYNC in FB & Twitter was tripling my contact storage needs- a huge memory hog.
    now contact storage has a beach body- super small.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CBLjazz View Post
    The killer is FACEBOOK & TWITTER contact sync turning that setting off makes a huge difference in memory.
    The reason i know is contact storage used to be my largest app at a whopping, obese 455MB.
    Good gosh... good thing I dont use either
    Why do ppl call our phones, "Dinc?" Makes it sound like a puny crappy phone or a sound effect when you flick something

You have Android now. Stop whining and complaining that iphone was easy/better... why the hell did you switch for?
    If youre going to change phones, be sure you're able to accept "CHANGE" and yes thats a change in how things are done. Its plain and simple

Btw, have a nifty day! (^_^)
    Now... wheres my beer???

I had "low on space" notifications also, and rarely used facebook, and never used twitter...

I fall back on mail as being the culprit...

And you know, it could be Mail for me and other that use our devises for mail mainly, and FB/Twitter for those that use it as a contacting devise...

"low on space" notifications suk either way.

Redemption Rom 2.4
    Was a BlackBerry, Now I'm Incredible

I'm new to the Low On Space discussion, but even though I rarely trust anyone inside of a Verizon store, the guy who hard reset my phone told me that the most likely problem causing this notification is not anything anyone has said, but the phone mis-reading its own memory. I had 6.47 out of 6.6 gb of space left, and 570-something out of 750 mb of phone memory. I didn't have low anything. I firmly do not believe it was a cache problem in any of my apps, so while these may be temporary solutions, I don't know that they will necessarily permanently solve the problem if it truly is a mis-reading.

Administrator
    Twitter
    jkhonea
    Quote Originally Posted by staceyjean View Post
    I'm new to the Low On Space discussion, but even though I rarely trust anyone inside of a Verizon store, the guy who hard reset my phone told me that the most likely problem causing this notification is not anything anyone has said, but the phone mis-reading its own memory. I had 6.47 out of 6.6 gb of space left, and 570-something out of 750 mb of phone memory. I didn't have low anything. I firmly do not believe it was a cache problem in any of my apps, so while these may be temporary solutions, I don't know that they will necessarily permanently solve the problem if it truly is a mis-reading.
    As painful as this is for me to say, there is a lot of validity to what the Verizon rep said in this case. Glitches happen in any phone and there very well might be a certain programming string that caused the phone to read the memory wrong. I will need to keep that in mind. Very good chance of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF?? View Post
    Good gosh... good thing I dont use either
    cool... I thought I was the only one who doesn't use/need Facebook & Twitter. =)

Quote Originally Posted by cerisecons View Post
    I had "low on space" notifications also, and rarely used facebook, and never used twitter...

I fall back on mail as being the culprit...

And you know, it could be Mail for me and other that use our devises for mail mainly, and FB/Twitter for those that use it as a contacting devise...

"low on space" notifications suk either way.
    from what i have read, all or some of the above is the most likely culprit. i only use external databases. backup assistant for contacts, k-9 for mail(which just connects to your mail server-very quickly i might add), facebook and twitter i use my browsers. tweetdeck is new and am checking out the beta now. but i believe that is just a client app too

Quote Originally Posted by staceyjean View Post
    i think its cuz the phone doesnt read trash folders as using memory. kind of like windows doesnt use the recycle bin and temp internet files and stuff to compute space. but it is still using space. i'm assuming froyo will fix that as they must know about this problem. you do a wipe, then re-sync and its all back.

It could have everything to do with just a specific application. Only a certain amount of space is allocated to each app... if an apps space fills up then you will get that notification. For example if you have too many text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsfan View Post
    It could have everything to do with just a specific application. Only a certain amount of space is allocated to each app... if an apps space fills up then you will get that notification. For example if you have too many text messages.
    while this is true, my point is that to just do a wipe to solve all problems isnt necessary and time consuming for the user. thats another vzw "canned answer" that doesn't work. thats always their answer for everything. so, he should have checked things like mail, facebook, texts, etc. 1st to fix it. not just not fix it and cause more inconvenience to the user

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads