No Hands Free Bluetooth Dialing: will there be any in the future on this phone?

This is a discussion on No Hands Free Bluetooth Dialing: will there be any in the future on this phone? within the HTC Incredible General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Incredible Discussion category; My wife is due for a new phone on Verizon. We love Verizon's coverage and want to stay with them. I stopped by the Verizon ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question No Hands Free Bluetooth Dialing: will there be any in the future on this phone?

My wife is due for a new phone on Verizon. We love Verizon's coverage and want to stay with them. I stopped by the Verizon store last night to see the Incredible. It looks and feels like a great phone. The one problem I have is you cannot use hands free Bluetooth dialing.

I really don't understand why they would release the latest vesion of the Droid without the Bluetooth dialing feature. My wife occasionally uses the phone while on the road. Her four year old Motorola has that feature. It is dangerous to dial a phone while driving due to the need to look at the phone when connecting. This means she will need to pull over to dial.

With many States enacting laws prohibiting the holding of the cell phone on the road and more importantly the actual safety issue, you would think hands free Bluetooth would be a high priority for a phone development team.

I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any plans to develop this capability with a software change in the future? I am undecided on whether to go ahead and purchase this phone now or wait until it or another equivalent phone comes out with this.

Comments will be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Ads

I think it may be an ANDROID OS problem, not a device problem. I have seen this complained about on the DROID as well. I don't see why they don't make it work like the Dumb phones do. Or is it, our SmartPhones are to smart for their own good?

I have been hoping someone would make a work around for this. I kind of remember, someone on DroidFroums had said they developed a program to do this. Maybe you should go do a search over there,

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMariner View Post
    I think it may be an ANDROID OS problem, not a device problem. I have seen this complained about on the DROID as well. I don't see why they don't make it work like the Dumb phones do. Or is it, our SmartPhones are to smart for their own good?

I have been hoping someone would make a work around for this. I kind of remember, someone on DroidFroums had said they developed a program to do this. Maybe you should go do a search over there,
    Jim hit it on the head. It is an Android OS issue, not the phone itself. There was talk that it would be added later, but something had to get tweaked in the OS to make it work. Not sure where it stands right now though.

I dont believe they will get this done anytime soon. If they were that concerned about it they would have included it in Android 2.1 software update.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
    I dont believe they will get this done anytime soon. If they were that concerned about it they would have included it in Android 2.1 software update.
    Yep. That and the embedded gmail issue. That one ticks me off since there are so many posts on the google coding issue page regarding this. I just hate when someone sends an email with a picture in the body and words about it only to see a question mark or something similar.

JimMariner

Thanks for your input and idea of going to the Droid forum of which I am a member. I found the answer. There is an App you can download four $4.00 that gives you hands free bluetooth dialing. It is called "Voice Dialer HF" and how it works is you only need to press the camera button for a short period and it activates a voice command. Below is the link to the product info and instructions.

Thanks again for the idea!

Voice Dialer HF (DFXmobile)

Quote Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
    JimMariner

Thanks for your input and idea of going to the Droid forum of which I am a member. I found the answer. There is an App you can download four $4.00 that gives you hands free bluetooth dialing. It is called "Voice Dialer HF" and how it works is you only need to press the camera button for a short period and it activates a voice command. Below is the link to the product info and instructions.

Thanks again for the idea!

Voice Dialer HF (DFXmobile)
    That's great and all but the incredible doesn't have a camera button lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
    That's great and all but the incredible doesn't have a camera button lol.
    MIXoLoGiSt

It does not have a "hard" button but the camera "soft" button is on the main screen. Pressing on the icon for a second or two is supposed to activate the voice dialing. I have not actually done it yet since I don't have our phone yet or the app. I did read on the Droid Forum that a couple of users have done it on the Incredible and it works fine according to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Overthehill View Post
    MIXoLoGiSt

It does not have a "hard" button but the camera "soft" button is on the main screen. Pressing on the icon for a second or two is supposed to activate the voice dialing. I have not actually done it yet since I don't have our phone yet or the app. I did read on the Droid Forum that a couple of users have done it on the Incredible and it works fine according to them.
    I think it would be better to use the favorites widget personally.

If you are going to have to look at your phone and press an app "camera" to dial.. why not just use the Voice Dialer that comes on the phone. Since the Voice Dialer does this function I can't believe it is that hard to have it work from the bluetooth.

Ads