Best Buy protection Plan or Verizon insurance vs Protect CELL???

This is a discussion on Best Buy protection Plan or Verizon insurance vs Protect CELL??? within the HTC Incredible General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Incredible Discussion category; Thanks Rik Z for posting your experience with Asurion. I've got both my phone and my daughter's phone covered and it is good peace of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks Rik Z for posting your experience with Asurion. I've got both my phone and my daughter's phone covered and it is good peace of mind having the coverage and service if it ever needed.

2. # ADS
    Ads

I just had my phone replaced through Asurion. I filled out the form online last night (around 8pm EST), and my new Incredible has already arrived. $89 deductable and $7.99/month, but it was worth it considering I only had this for a couple of weeks!

-Mike

I'm kind of curious about a few things. I am currently going through the geek squad black tie insurance program right now to get my moto droid fixed. They told me 4 week to get it back. I was shocked. They tried to give me a simple phone and asked me if I had an old phone I could just use instead. My sister told them she wasn't paying 100 bucks a month for my line + smartphone plans for me to have a basic phone. They grumbled, called around and eventually pulled out a LG Ally from their new stock, and gave it to me for a 150 deposit. (Anyone else, fight for them to give you a smart phone. They will, even if it's the lowest end one they have...)

Anyways, they have an update site that they email my sister (it's under her name, as she's the main on the account) and It took them a week to send it from my local BB to where ever they fix it. But yesterday there was an update, first: "Awaiting customer approval for payment required. Please contact the Geek Squad Precinct within your Best Buy store" then "Customer approved estimate for repair or upgrade" now they didn't call my sister or me. so I'm hoping that means they called the store to approve a new phone. There hasn't been any updates since then..

My question is, for those that have gotten a new phone from BB/QS did you get the same model or was it an updated model? I'm kind of curious, as mine is no longer being sold. (I'll post updates if anyone is interested, when I get any..)

Quote Originally Posted by lschicky View Post
    (I'll post updates if anyone is interested, when I get any..)
    I'm curious what was the end result? Did you get a new phone? I have the black tie insurance also. The first month was free with a promotion that included their buy back program. The second month they deducted the $10 from my checking account using my debit card number that I used to buy accessories. The phone was free with service. That was unexpected. I assumed the insurance would be added to my cell phone bill. It's not a problem but they should have mentioned that to me so I wasn't surprised at an unexpected deduction from my checking account. I had my debit number changed before I found out what the charge was because I was concerned about identity theft. Anyway it seems like BB insurance is not as great and easy as they imply. I've had my phone 6 weeks now. If it's not too late I may look around for something else.

I guess we’re not going to get an “end result” from Ischicky. Be that as it may, I am more interested in Protect Cell. An indirect Verizon dealer called “Go Wireless” used to sell Protect Cell, but they stopped offering it because they wanted to make more profits off the insurance. Supposedly they recommend their company-owned and operated “G.R.I.P.” (GoWireless Replacement Insurance Program) insurance. Psshhh... yeah, whatever. Does anyone know of a dealer that still uses Protect Cell? I <3 this insurance. It has a cheaper deductible then anyone except Best Buy, but they also overnight you a replacement like Asurion. They cover EVERYTHING, from water damage to hardware issues. The best part is that unlike Asurion, Best Buy, or “GRIP,” you don’t have to be charged every single month. You just pay for it all up front. I’d rather not have an extra charge tacked on to my bill. Plus it’s only $120 for two years. That comes out to $5 a month, which makes it the cheapest of the bunch. Where can I buy this? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL11 View Post
    Where can I buy this? Anyone?
    That is a very old thread. Anyway I Binged the company name and found the following,
    http://www.protectcell.com/Home.aspx It was very easy to find.

~eddie

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog65 View Post
    Verizon does offer a separate plan that I got with my Incredible last week. It's a 1 time payment of $99 for the 2 year agreement and the replacement "maintenance fee" is $75. Just seemed to make more sense to me and cheaper to pay the $99 up front vs $7.99/month for 2 years and a higher deductible. Here's the web site for more info. Wireless Protection Programô, Hope this helps.
    Hello Bigdog... did they actually offer that at the official Verizon store retailer? The Wireless Protection Program you linked is one I've used in the past (for my iPhone 3GS), but it's through Global Warranty Group; and I had to purchase it from a separate retailer (one of those mall retailers). I've since moved, and I'm looking for a retailer in my area, but can't seem to find one. I called WPP / GWG and asked, but they do not have a "dealer locator" on their website, and were unable to provide me a list of nearby retailers over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by aegisrose View Post
    Hello Bigdog... did they actually offer that at the official Verizon store retailer? The Wireless Protection Program you linked is one I've used in the past (for my iPhone 3GS), but it's through Global Warranty Group; and I had to purchase it from a separate retailer (one of those mall retailers). I've since moved, and I'm looking for a retailer in my area, but can't seem to find one. I called WPP / GWG and asked, but they do not have a "dealer locator" on their website, and were unable to provide me a list of nearby retailers over the phone.
    I was able to get this at my local Verizon retailer and just paid for it at the time I got my phone. Good luck.

Hey guys, I decided to help out incase anyone was having any questions. I like a dunce had my iphone in my top pocket of my shirt just chilling like most people put there phones when they don't feel like digging them out of there pocket. (not talking about those people who must have a titanium sealed box with iridium overlay to protect there phone that is bulky as hell....) This is to the people who don't usually use protective cases. Personally my favorite use of protection was the ZAGG shields they worked great and i never felt bad about leaving my phone face down.

Now on to the real story. This phone sitting in my top pocket took a swan dive into a cold cooler at a party a few months back......I immediately pulled it out of the water and turned it off...Did the whole "well my mother says put it in rice and booyakuh magic iphone better long time"...well no your mother is stupid and she's wrong. It didnt work...I went for 2 days without it. Luckily I had best buy's insurance...The one you pay for a month I want to say mine's like a couple bucks a month I forget what I pay its automatic withdrawl so I never pay attention to it. I took it into best buy they took my shield protectors off shipped my phone out gave me a replacement phone....Granted the phone was a piece of shit LG Vox It was useable for texting and making phone calls. Verizon nor AT&T will give you a replacement while they send your phone out even after paying for a deductible and you still have to wait. Now that being said best buy I beleive took them maybe a week to 2 weeks to get me my phone back I forget. The point is, is they provided me with a phone while i was out a phone and mine was getting fixed. Unless you're an anal retentive iphone a holic and you absolutely can not be without instagram for 1 day or facebook on your phone than you should probably either step out infront of a bus or just buy a new phone!

Now Part 2 to this story months after having my phone back i was happy the world was safe from peril's such as not being able to read my facebook or snap those amazing photos i wanted to when that girl was stripping over herself at the club! I was cruising a long a highway here in town and wearing shorts on my motorcycle I thought nothing of it....this was the one time I did not have my headphones in on my motorcycle while listening to music off my iphone....the phone was in my pocket speeds exceeded 65 mph and the phone was lost forever....there is this nifty trick you see called icloud...you can track your phone if you ever lose it. I never paid attention to it so i never turned it on.....yep phone lost forever....nothing best buy can do for you there =\. However if you did have an insurance plan from the cellphone company that specifically covered "LOST" or "STOLEN" than you would be ok. Me no I had best buys and they don't cover this....

Now as i'm writing this today about 2 months after having to buy another iphone (My butt still hurts from that one) I've yet again wore the same shorts on my way to volleyball and yet again like a moron let it slide out of my shorts because yet again this was the freak moment I happen to have a girl on the back of my motorcycle and god forbide me want to be courteous if she starts screaming at me to slow down and not put my headphones in.......(on a side note if phone is in pocket make sure headphones are attached (they act as kind of a tether to your phone saving it temporarily)). So Back to the most magical point of this particular conundrum...guess what guys! ICLOUD WAS ACTIVATED AND I DIDNT TURN IT OFF HURRAY! I used the girl I was with's HTC Shit or crap I forget the name of it, to use icloud.com to find my phone! I drove to the highway walked about 300 yrds up and down back and fourth at night waiting to see a faint glimmer of what was once my iphone screen! AHA! Find it I did.....completely fuked it was.......So it's now 2am i'm tired as hell I'm getting off here I hope everyone could enjoy my multiple stories of insurance.....the story will continue tomorrow when I try to take this sucker into best buy and ask them to send it off and get me a new one hahaha! see below for pics!

Moral of the story is...Go with best buy's I don't work for them but I've used it and still use it and they continue to provide great service.....if you can get past the 2 college morons you have to wait on to get this little insurance ball rolling on your phone....

Ads