Sync Phone Contacts to Gmail?

This is a discussion on Sync Phone Contacts to Gmail? within the HTC Incredible General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Incredible Discussion category; So when I setup my phone my Gmail contacts synced to my phone just fine. However, since adding new contacts through my phone those numbers ...

+ Reply to Thread

Sync Phone Contacts to Gmail?

So when I setup my phone my Gmail contacts synced to my phone just fine.

However, since adding new contacts through my phone those numbers and emails are not appearing in Gmail. Is there a way to get the sync two way and not just Gmail -> Phone.

Also with the Facebook integration on the phone it would be nice to get those Birthdays and stuff into Gmail.

EDIT: So I just looked into it a bit more and it turns out I should have been choosing Gmail instead of Phone under "Contact type." Is there a way for me to fix the contacts I have already entered and to set it to use Gmail by default? Also there is still the issue of syncing all the Facebook info I have found back into Gmail.
    Last edited by MrTissues; 06-20-2010 at 05:32 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

I havent found a way to sync from phone to gmail, but theres an alternative way (just a few extra steps).

Assuming you have Backup Assistance set up already, use your PC:
    -Export the contacts as a cvs file (outlook)
    -import the contacts into gmail
    Why do ppl call our phones, "Dinc?" Makes it sound like a puny crappy phone or a sound effect when you flick something

You have Android now. Stop whining and complaining that iphone was easy/better... why the hell did you switch for?
    If youre going to change phones, be sure you're able to accept "CHANGE" and yes thats a change in how things are done. Its plain and simple

Btw, have a nifty day! (^_^)
    Now... wheres my beer???

Quote Originally Posted by MrTissues View Post
    So when I setup my phone my Gmail contacts synced to my phone just fine.

However, since adding new contacts through my phone those numbers and emails are not appearing in Gmail. Is there a way to get the sync two way and not just Gmail -> Phone.

EDIT: So I just looked into it a bit more and it turns out I should have been choosing Gmail instead of Phone under "Contact type."
    Just where is it that this choice can be made?

Here's the thing--Google syncs Google contacts, not Phone contacts. Here's what I've done to fix with this issue. First, go into your "People" contacts on your phone, then "Menu," then "Import/Export." Select "Export" then you're given a choice of "Google" or "Phone." Select "Phone." Then confirm. Then, "Menu," then "Import/Export." Select "Import" and then Google and then Select multiple Vcards. This should now upload all your phone contacts into Google and sync them so that you can access them on your other computers.
    From now on, when you create a new contact, select "Google" under "Contact type" just below the word "Information" right below the camera icon at the top of the screen. This is your one chance to assign this contact to either "Phone" or "Google," it seems it can't be reassigned later unless you export it and then import it into Google.

Quote Originally Posted by ian6500 View Post
    Here's the thing--Google syncs Google contacts, not Phone contacts. Here's what I've done to fix with this issue. First, go into your "People" contacts on your phone, then "Menu," then "Import/Export." Select "Export" then you're given a choice of "Google" or "Phone." Select "Phone." Then confirm. Then, "Menu," then "Import/Export." Select "Import" and then Google and then Select multiple Vcards. This should now upload all your phone contacts into Google and sync them so that you can access them on your other computers.
    From now on, when you create a new contact, select "Google" under "Contact type" just below the word "Information" right below the camera icon at the top of the screen. This is your one chance to assign this contact to either "Phone" or "Google," it seems it can't be reassigned later unless you export it and then import it into Google.
    I just did this in order to get my contacts into my google account but now i notice there are some duplicate contacts in my "People". the interesting thing is that the contacts that got duplicated are the ones that aren't linked to facebook (radio station numbers, store numbers, etc). Any idea on this and thoughts of which duplicate is the right one to delete?

Also, I checked my gmail account on my computer but the contacts aren't there? Is there another step I should do?
    Last edited by Daniel41; 12-12-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Seeing that I'm on my fourth phone I have multiple vcards due to multiple backups ending up on my phone along with having two gmail accounts sync'd to my phone. You just have to link them all to one contact, at least that's what i do whenever I have to get a new phone...

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPukeChain3 View Post
    Seeing that I'm on my fourth phone I have multiple vcards due to multiple backups ending up on my phone along with having two gmail accounts sync'd to my phone. You just have to link them all to one contact, at least that's what i do whenever I have to get a new phone...
    I did this. But, when looking at the multiple contacts, it is apparent that, before syncing them to each other, there is one on the phone and one in gmail. When I sync them, does that remove the one from my phone (I doubt it)? The whole thing I'm trying to do is clear up memory on the phone, but now I fear I just have double of what I had before.

Also, I checked my gmail on my computer and only 3 contacts that were originally on the phone are now there. What happened to the rest?

Sorry for so many questions, I just feel like I'm fighting my phone and it's winning.

Ads