Question about Incredible activation

This is a discussion on Question about Incredible activation within the HTC Incredible General Discussion forums, part of the HTC Incredible Discussion category; I've been thinking harder about what the online sales rep told me regarding activating the Incredible when it comes in. He said when you get ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator
    Twitter
    jkhonea

Question about Incredible activation

I've been thinking harder about what the online sales rep told me regarding activating the Incredible when it comes in. He said when you get the phone, one of the first things you do on activation is enter the phone number that the phone will be accredited to. This detail is important to me as I'm purchasing the phone through my secondary line upgrade discount. So basically, the phone will actually be on a different line than what I purchased it through.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Does this sound right or does anyone know for sure? Trying to make this process as painless as possible when it arrives.

2. # ADS
    Ads

I purchased my Droid using my secondary line upgrade and had to go to a Verizon store to activate it on my own line. I think that is the only way to activate on a different line.

Administrator
    Twitter
    jkhonea
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkeeper View Post
    I purchased my Droid using my secondary line upgrade and had to go to a Verizon store to activate it on my own line. I think that is the only way to activate on a different line.
    I think you're right. I had a friend with a mother at Verizon walk me through the process. You activate the phone on the secondary line. Then, after that's done, you have to go back into the system and change the serial number of the new phone to your primary line phone number while then going back and putting the serial number of the other phone back to your secondary line. You used to be able to do that on the Verizon website, but can't find the options to do it there now. Looks like it will either be time on the phone or time at the store on Thursday. She said if it isn't done exactly right, it can result in a screw up of the contract getting registered wrong and the balance of the new phone FULL cost popping up on your bill a couple of months later.

Better safe than sorry. Now that I know what has to be done, at least I can direct the person at Verizon if they don't know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jkhonea View Post
    I think you're right. I had a friend with a mother at Verizon walk me through the process. You activate the phone on the secondary line. Then, after that's done, you have to go back into the system and change the serial number of the new phone to your primary line phone number while then going back and putting the serial number of the other phone back to your secondary line. You used to be able to do that on the Verizon website, but can't find the options to do it there now. Looks like it will either be time on the phone or time at the store on Thursday. She said if it isn't done exactly right, it can result in a screw up of the contract getting registered wrong and the balance of the new phone FULL cost popping up on your bill a couple of months later.

Better safe than sorry. Now that I know what has to be done, at least I can direct the person at Verizon if they don't know what to do.
    Nope, this can be done completely online, and with no fees...You just log into "My Verizon" and you choose the number you want to activate the phone on, click okay, and then you click, "Activate new or existing phone", then you type in the ESN/MEID number and then reselect the number, and click okay. It will process and then you will have to call *228 from your new phone.

That was from memory, correct me if I am wrong...

Administrator
    Twitter
    jkhonea
    Quote Originally Posted by WarreN1ncredible View Post
    Nope, this can be done completely online, and with no fees...You just log into "My Verizon" and you choose the number you want to activate the phone on, click okay, and then you click, "Activate new or existing phone", then you type in the ESN/MEID number and then reselect the number, and click okay. It will process and then you will have to call *228 from your new phone.

That was from memory, correct me if I am wrong...
    Thanks. Sounds like they've been playing with the processes over there. Apparently that's one of the things they changed. Hope so at least.

I would recommend just going into the store to have it activated on your line. They shouldn't charge any fees whatsoever for doing this.

My Droid failed to activate with that method. That's why I had to go to a Verizon store. I don't remember the problem exactly. When I bought the new phone, although not activated yet, the ESN was entered into there system on the other line. When I tried to activate on my line, it showed up in their system as the same ESN trying to be activated on two phone lines or something like that. I remember the girl in the store couldn't get it to activate either and had to call somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by demonkeeper View Post
    My Droid failed to activate with that method. That's why I had to go to a Verizon store. I don't remember the problem exactly. When I bought the new phone, although not activated yet, the ESN was entered into there system on the other line. When I tried to activate on my line, it showed up in their system as the same ESN trying to be activated on two phone lines or something like that. I remember the girl in the store couldn't get it to activate either and had to call somebody.
    Yeah sounds like that could be what happened. This is why i do everything in store instead of online. Sure i have to pay that extra $100 up front and then mail in the rebate but it makes things so much easier and within a couple weeks i get the $100 back so why not.

Online activation/ESN switching is pretty easy, and this the only way I activate now actually. And I have been in your situation too, where I would use an upgrade from a secondary line and then activate on my line, or from another line in a Family plan, etc. I have done this with buying phones off ebay (my droid, old razrs and Q9C's) as well. To me, its very convenient instead of going into the store. I usually leave that as a last resort, but to each his own. If you feel more comfortable by going to the store, by all means go for it. Just trying to save you some time!

Its quite simple via my verizon. Log into your account, and find the number you want to activate your new phone on. Click on "details" for that number, and on the next page that pops up, you click on "Activate phone." After you do that, it will ask to enter in the new MEID/ESN number, which you get from the new phone, and pick the number from the dropdown box that you will be activating the new phone on.

The usual caveats apply, make sure you backed up your contacts somewhere, and whatever data you would need for your new phone. Now, before you press continue, make sure your old phone is off. Press continue, and then if there are any changes that need to be made to your contract/plan i.e. adding a data plan, removing some option, etc, it will show you a page with all of the options and changes that may or may not be made to your contract./plan, depending on what type of phone you are activating. Verify any changes, and after that the ESN switch is complete, and it should show a page that says activation successful, and to wait about 10-15 mins and then turn your new phone on and do OTA programming via option 1.

Sorry for the long post!! And you can PM any questions (if you have any). Take care and cannot wait for this phone to release!!

Cool that will be a good option for some that are in this situation and having the phone shipped to them. Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by MiXoLoGiSt; 04-23-2010 at 03:23 AM.

Ads