The right type of microSD card (Class 2 vs. Class 6 or 10)

This is a discussion on The right type of microSD card (Class 2 vs. Class 6 or 10) within the HTC Incredible Accessories forums, part of the HTC Incredible Discussion category; My question are: 1.) What are the real benefits of using higher class microSD cards (4,6,10) vs. Class 2? 2.) Are there situations/applications in which ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The right type of microSD card (Class 2 vs. Class 6 or 10)

My question are:

1.) What are the real benefits of using higher class microSD cards (4,6,10) vs. Class 2?
    2.) Are there situations/applications in which a class 2 SD card will be inadequate?
    3.) A general question: When switching SD cards, does the phone have to be completely powered down (and the battery removed) or can I just unmount the card and switch it out while the phone is on?

History:
    Went to Fry's to buy a 16GB microSD card (Polaroid) because it was on sale for $18. The clerk then told me it's so cheap because it is a "slow" Class 2 card and I should not buy it but instead fork out double the money to buy a "faster" Class 6 or even 10 card. Well, I thought I'd try it anyway, since I can return it if in fact the speed is insufficient for my purposes. I wanted a larger capacity card mainly to store all my photos and mp3s. So I loaded the card 1/2 way up and tested it, i.e. I played mp3 playlists, watched photos in a slide show, took pictures and video. I tried doing all this while using other applications too to see if there are any performance issues. I also checked if there are any performance differences between using phone storage vs. CD card storage when taking & watching video or photos. The result is...everything worked just fine, no delays, crashes, skipping, etc..

2. # ADS
    Ads

I have a class-2 32Gb card, and I'm not sure where and when the faster speed of a higher class would make itself felt in anything I do on my Dinc. I've many times popped the card in and out while the phone is running, and nothing special happens, it just works as before when reinserted

Although you probably won't see any performance differences while using your phone, you will see (or should see) faster transfer speeds when moving files back and forth between your computer and your phone.

I have a Class 2 16 gig card and while I would think what Lindy says is very true, it's been fast enough for me. If it's just the time / speed to copy files on and off the phone, that's fine for me.

I agree. The price difference for the higher speed cards is hardly justified imo!

the speed of the card only affects the write speed (has no effect at all on read speed). Using a higher speed card (higher than class 2) may be necessary to get "true" 720p video. Other than this, the only time you'll likely notice the higher write speed is if you are loading a very large amount of data on to your phone.

Bottom Line: If you do not use your Incredible to record videos, the price increase of a higher class card isn't worth it.
    Last edited by RAWRmike; 09-01-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: bolded words and added some text

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRmike View Post
    the speed of the card only affects the write speed (has no effect at all on read speed). Using a higher speed card (higher than class 2) may be necessary to get "true" 720p video. Other than this, the only time you'll likely notice the higher write speed is if you are loading a very large amount of data on to your phone.

Bottom Line: If you do not use your Incredible to record videos, the price increase of a higher class card isn't worth it.
    I'm far from an authority on this subject, but wouldn't any solid-state device like an micro-sd card be faster read/write than a hard drive? I've recorded about 8 terabytes of 1080 video to "green" 5400 rpm drives with my computer with nary a glitch or stutter, and it's not uncommon, with 5 tuner cards installed, to record 4 or five HD programs simultaneously on the same drive. I admit I was surprised how speed and resources had little effect on the ability to transfer info to and from the drives.

From that viewpoint, wouldn't the ability to get information to and from the card be much more important than the speed of the card itself?

I do have pretty well the ultimate processor (I 7 quad core 3.2 gig) and 12 gb of ddr3 memory, and a 10,000 rpm veceliraptor for the operating system, but that wouldn't really affect the speed of the media I record to. I sure wouldn't expect the 1.2 gig processor in my Inc to be able to overload any sd card.

Like I said, I'm no authority, but that's my understanding... ...is there something I should know that I'm missing?

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seeing as the fastest microSD card is rated @ 10 MB/s, your Velociraptor hd's write speed is about 50x greater than a class 2 card. I would suspect the 3.2ghz processor and 12 gigs of ram you have contribute to the ability to record that many programs at once (but I'm not a computer expert so IDK for sure, but i would like to have your setup).

The way I understand it, the maximum write speed is determined by a combination of the class of card used and the amount of RAM the phone has available (although I've heard the android OS handles ram strangely, see: How much RAM does the Droid Incredible have? - Yahoo! Answers), but I dont know for sure. Anyone else knowledgeable on the subject and care to share??

Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    Class 10 is WAY more than you need for this phone. It's also incredibly expensive. Class 10 is recommended for use in high-end/ high-quality digital cameras/ recorders that have been released within the past year or two. If you're planning to use your phone solely to take pictures/ videos, class 10 MIGHT provide some advantage but it's debatable. The classification of cards is a murky subject too. Not all manufacturers label their cards, the group responsible for coming up with the rating system (forget their name off the top of my head) admits some ambiguity... It goes on and on. Bottom line- if the choice is between a smaller capacity Class 10 or larger capacity lower class, capacity should be the determining factor for 99% of users.

There you have it.

Any Incredible owners out there have multiple cards of different classes and wouldnt mind comparing the quality of 720p recordings between the 2 cards? It may prove that there is no substantial gain (or none at all) in framerate or quality by going from a class 2 to a class 4 or 6, in which case maybe a sticky could be made informing all readers the pros/cons of the different classes and what applications call for which so that people dont spend money on something they dont need.

Ads