Custom ROM, Kernel and General Questions
Hey guys, I just rooted my Incredible last night! (w00t)
Im a noob to this rooting stuff, but Im pretty experienced with development and have daddled in Android a little myself. I have a couple questions that I couldnt get answered, and I hope you guys could help me out.
1. Im not satsified with the stock rom. Im looking for a stable rom/kernel optimized for long battery life. Do you guys have any suggestions? Ive been looking at FrankenROM but idk...
2. Is there an undervolt kernel that works with most ROMs? it seems to me like they only work for the rom they came with....
3. I was under the impression that in order to create custom ROMs, you need a dev phone, but I looked around and found ROMKitchen on xda. Anybody know how that is?
4. Where can I find the stock 2.2 nexus one ROM, and will it work on my Incredible without tweaking?
5. This might be a little ambitious, but I would like to create my own ROM focused on battery life with minimal eye candy and the like. What kind of things would you like to see in it/recommend? Ive been eying zeam launcher because its pretty lightweight...any other suggestions?
The people on here are so knowledgeable that sometimes I wonder if there is some holy rooting bible...if so please link me to it
09-25-2010 03:44 PM
I just noted my battery at 23% after 43 hours of light use, using FrankenROM 1.0 and Adrynalyune's "battery" kernel.
To create ROMS, you don't need any particular phone, but you have to be prepared for sacrifices...
I don't tnhink a Nexus ROM will work on the DInc.
thanks. im flashing FrankenROM right now. Do you know if the battery kernel is the "experimental kernel" on adrynalyne's site?
I assumed that to be so, but:
If you read the Comments on Adrynalyne's own announcement of his ROM at adrynalyne.us, you will see that I asked that very question and as of this moment I'm still waiting for his answer.
well assuming it is the right kernel, it isnt going so well.
Im at 6% battery after 15 hours...i guess thats ok but I was expecting better. I mostly texted, browsed the internet and facebook for 10 minutes max, and used last.fm for an hour or 2. Im not sure that setCPU is working properly because every time I open it it says Superuser Permissions granted but Id expect that to only show up on start up. Other than that its pretty stable, it only froze once...Im not really sure how long I should keep this before I know that it isnt really helping, but ill try it out for a bit. Hopefully the kernel isnt too much for my phone...
What SetCPU profiles have you created?
ok here are my profiles:
screen off - 128 384 priority 100
battery < 15 128 460 priority 90
battery < 25 128 460 priority 80
temp > 40 128 768 priority 69
charging/full 128 998 priority 50
Is your battery < 15 and battery < 25 the same speed or was that a typo?
Originally Posted by choochootrain
Just a suggestion , I would also recommend your "temp>40" be a higher priority since you don't want your phone to overheat and charging/full be slightly less than that since you are already charging your phone, no need to worry about battery life when you are plugged in.
Also, maybe add some more profiles around for battery < 50, battery < 75, etc to see if it makes a difference?
When you're streaming off of last.fm, is your screen on?
also, which battery are you using? stock or extended?
battery < 25 is 128 499. sorry about that.
I'll try the other profiles you suggested and see what happens.
The screen was off, just streaming music.
Im using the stock battery.
Thanks for your suggestions. I dont know what happened but today was better. Im at 46% after about the same amount of uptime.