Bricked after installing OTA on rooted phone- help!
I decided to panic today, and did a series of stupid things.
1. This morning, I was presented with the verizon OTA update for my DINC.
2. I tried to run the OTA update this morning, but it failed - presumably because I had rooted with unrEVOked 3. I only think that may be the issue because of a post on another forum that I stumbled across. I don't know what went wrong, but it gave me an error message that I did not write down.
3. I tried to re-run the update, but I couldn't figure out how to do that. It wasn't listed in notifications anymore, and when I went to Settings>about phone>software information, it said my phone was up to date. However, it was still showing 2.1.
4. Being incredibly impatient, I decided to download the "8e5ad8d6ea2d.OTA_IncredibleC_Verizon_WWE_3.21.605 .1_1.22.605.2_release_sign.zip" to update the phone manually. I renamed the zip to "update.zip" and copied it into the root of the SDcard.
5. When I ran the update, it got stuck in a continuous reboot. I got to a screen where I can unlock the phone. I can see the clock, and the phone has "no service". When I unlock it, there is progress indicator, that starts counting up. There is an HTC logo in the background. It counts up to about 15 - 30% and I get a “Sorry! Process system is not responding. – force close or wait” message. Then it counts up to about 92% and reboots automatically. I have tried hitting both force close and wait many multiple times. In any case, it will get to about 90% and then reboot and start all over again.
6. Needing to use my phone, I thought I would just run a mod to see if that would work. I tried the Cyanogen Mod 6. However, it gets me to the Cyanogen animated graphic that twirls in circles forever. I can't get it to go past that point.
7. Then I tried to go back to the verizon froyo update zip, but now I get no LED light. I can still get to the bootloader. When the bootloader comes up, there is a message about not having an image.
8. If I go to Recovery, I can still choose any update zip file using the ClockworkMod Recovery v184.108.40.206 menu. If I try the downloaded Verizon Incredible 2.2 update, I now get a message that says "assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/AccountSyncManager.apk", followed by a string of letters/numbers. Then E: Error in the file, and a (Status 7 - Installation aborted) message.
The phone still comes up with the cyanogen loading message.
Assuming I need to take this back to Verizon, how do I remove the cyanogen loading message, to try to get this work done under warranty??
09-02-2010 11:56 AM
If you still have clockwork recovery I would first go into it and wipe data and cache. Do that two times without leaving the recovery screen. Meaning wipe dat then cachae. then wipe data then cahe again. Then i would probably try your first backup you made.
I used a video camera to capture the name of the image file that was causing the error message (PB31IMG.zip and PB31DIAG.zip).
After googling those files in forum after forum, I finally found a solution that worked here.
This allowed me to downgrade to 2.1, and then upgrade to 2.2.
If RootedThanks for your help!
Make sure you have a recent Titanium Bakcup
Download the file PB31IMG.zip and place it in the root of you SD card
Power off the phone and then press and hold power + volume down to boot into the boot loader
Press and hold volume down and the power button to boot into HBoot
The phone will find, load, and check PB31IMG.zip. It will then ask you if you would like to update using the file
Press volume up to update the phone
Reboot the phone – you are now back to stock
Boot the phone, go through the setup (but don’t bother to set anything) and remove PB31IMG.zip from your SD card.
Download the file dinc_ota.zip, rename it to update.zip and place it in the root of your SD card.
Reboot into recovery (turn on USB debugging and run “adb reboot recovery” or power down the phone and then press and hold power and volume down)
Press volume down once, then press the power button to select Recovery
Press power and volume up to bring up the recovery menu.
Use the volume rocker to highlight apply update.zip, then power to run it
Reboot the phone when prompted.
Go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Baseband version and verify that it’s 2.05.00.06.11.
You can now re-root your phone by running Unrevoked 3 and make a new Stock + OTA Antenna backup in nandroid.
So, where did you find this? It would be nice to be able to find links to the .zip files you mentioned.
He did mention it. It's here http://www.jonamerica.com/technology...yo-2-2-update/
Originally Posted by Ed Zachary
OH NOEZ!! T3h b00tl00pz!!