Unrevoked3 Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?

This is a discussion on Unrevoked3 Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new? within the Hacking Help forums, part of the HTC Incredible Development category; I saw someone else having issues with this, but nothing that was suggested has worked for me and I wasn't sure if people were even ...

+ Reply to Thread

Unrevoked3 Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?

I saw someone else having issues with this, but nothing that was suggested has worked for me and I wasn't sure if people were even going to respond to that thread since it was so old, so I figured starting a new one would be the best way to get some attention.

Starting with the important stuff:

Android Version: 2.2
    Baseband Version: 2.15.00.11.19
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16 htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149 #1
    Build number: 3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys
    Software number: 3.26.605.1
    Browser version: WebKit 3.1
    PRI Version: 1.70_002
    PRL Version: 52608
    ERI Version: 5

Some history about the phone. I had CM7 on the phone a couple months back, but I ended up going back to a stock phone cause i was on an unstable version and it wasnt working so well for me. Now my phone has gotten really slow (I don't get crashes but it lags a lot) so I decided that I would give a stable version another shot, especially since I'm looking forward to ICS coming with CM9. When I put CM7 on the phone before, I also updated my radio along with everything else though the kid that was talking me through how to do the root was kinda sketchy when it came to updating the radio, making me wonder if I messed up my phone.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue...there is no SD card in it right now, I wiped the phone clean with a factory reset, I wiped the screens clean by putting it on blank slate. I've tried running the root with the phone in Charge Only mode as well as Disk Drive mode, nothing making a difference. I notice that some of my software numbers varied from some of the numbers that were listed by others that had this problem, so I'm thinking that is what the problem is, but I wouldn't know how to bring those numbers back to an earlier version if that's what I need to do.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Is it possible that your phone is still S-off?
    Akwonder
    If you want to contact me here's my email : akwonder1@gmail.com. I'm willing to chat about most things and if you have any questions I'm willing and happy to help.

I take it with my phone being still in s-off then the whole root process would be kinda pointless right? I guess that was my misunderstanding of what the rooting was actually doing.

Rescue Squad
    S-off means that the bootloader is unlocked, the security is off. To test to see if you still have root you could install titanium backup, as an example, and attempt to use it. If you get a message about no root then out of curiosity I was wondering if you downloaded the latest unrevoked when you tried rooting again.
    Akwonder
    If you want to contact me here's my email : akwonder1@gmail.com. I'm willing to chat about most things and if you have any questions I'm willing and happy to help.

Super Moderator
    Twitter
    enlightenedlg
    GReddy, I'm thinking along the same lines as Nikko. Did you actually do an RUU to go back to stock or just install a stock ROM? If you didn't RUU then you're still S-off. Look for either S-On or S-off in the HBoot startup screen and tell us what it says.

Yeah sorry, that was my fault. It is still in S-off. Well I guess I'm relieved that my phone isn't as broken as I thought it was and instead that I just am noobish.

Rescue Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by GReddy2319 View Post
    Yeah sorry, that was my fault. It is still in S-off. Well I guess I'm relieved that my phone isn't as broken as I thought it was and instead that I just am noobish.
    If it's still s-off, you can just flash on another ROM.

Ads